Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

The entire Nik software collection is now available as a free download

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Snag it immediately!  There's no reason not to have this range of editing tools on your computer. 

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Absolutely Neil. Already have it but will install full version now just in case there were some updates to the ones I already had.

Thanks.
  • Hi - Free is good, but can you guys tell me what this is, and how it will help, before I stick it on my overtaxed desktop?

Thanks - Dave
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited March 2016
    It's a set of 7 Photoshop and Lightroom plugins for post-processing your photos. 

- Noise reduction with Dfine
    - Color saturation/enhancement with Viveza
    - B&W effects/filters with Silver Efex
    - Color effects/filters with Color Efex (also includes a skin softener)
    - Film/Grain effects/filters with Analog Efex
    - HDR stitching and processing with HDR Efex
    - Image sharpening with Sharpener Pro

Nik Collection falls into same category as Topaz Labs Collection and other multi-purpose post-processing software.

Besides being very good software, the Nik Collection's notable feature is their "U-point" interface for most software.  Basically, you designate an area to apply an effect and a circle is created from the point you picked.  You can increase the size of the circle to apply the effect to more of the photo.  Or, for a given circle, you can adjust the effect's settings.  You can create multiple circles to apply effects in a targeted manner like Lightroom (but Nik does it better).

It's arguably very good software for its class.  I'm still using it despite other competitors releasing products.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Stephen nailed it.