Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Photographing Furniture and Home Design

Hi, All -

I *believe* I have a new regular client, a home-design center. They are using me primarily for events they have in their showroom (I've done a cooking competition, and a Toys4Tots event with local chefs cooking the food), but last week they asked me to photograph furniture they provided to some VIP who was in a condo temporarily (I had a prior commitment and couldn't do it). Even if they never ask for something like this again, I want to be on top of it in case they do. I'm not sure if I would consider this "real-estate photography". If anyone has any tips, print or on-line resources, etc., they could provide, I would appreciate it. All I can say is I would be surprised if this didn't involve at least a couple of off-camera flashes.

Comments

• CanonJayCanonJay Member
    edited December 2017
    Dave,

Sounds like a great opportunity to buy more lights:). In all seriousness, It depends on the job description. Is the furniture there? location shoot? Do you take the furniture home with you to shoot it? If I read that correctly, you were to go to condo and shoot the furniture on site?  More or less, like a real estate shoot then. Still a great opportunity to buy more lights! LOL 

Now the more serious ideas. Things to think about or consider. 

1. Tripod 

2. longer exposures to bring in ambient light.  

3. focus stacking if needed

4. Possible HDR and panoramic 

5. Show furniture in setting without clutter.

6. LED Panels with Bi color temp variance comes in handy in these type of shoots. 

7. Gel flashes with CTO orange 

8. Wide angle lens 

9. Consider lifestyle shoot - add people in room for a more realistic furniture setting 

10. Any room lights. Keep on. They usually look nice but you will need to match color temp. 

That was just a few thoughts quickly to consider. I hope it gave you some ideas and a basic starting point. 

-Jay
  • Nice, Jay, thanks! Sounds like you maybe have done this before?

If this happens again, I would imagine it would be "in-the-situation", and not bringing individual pieces of furniture to a setup/studio.

Lots of good tips, and thanks again.

Dave
  • Thanks, amendina. Hopefully I can pick up a couple of things. I am looking for more of, I guess, a tutorial that doesn't rely so heavily on post processing. I would to see lighting techniques and setups that lean more towards getting the shot more in the camera.

Dave
  • Here is a "freebie" I found from Mike Kelly, in case anyone is interested (his "course" is $299)

https://fstoppers.com/strobe-light/bts-anatomy-luxury-interior-shot-3127

• Mike Kelley has three excellent courses on architectural and real estate photography titled Where Art Meets Architecture, 1, 2 and 3. I have bought two of them and I am very satisfied with what I have learned with them.