Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

What is 4K Resolution ... in Photography?

dbrunodbruno Member
edited March 2018 in post-processing
I was hired by a video-production company to photograph an office opening/ribbon cutting for one of their clients. The person who hired me for this (the owner of the video company) has mentioned a couple times that he wants "4K resolution". I still don't know what he wants.

The office manager contacted me a few days after the event, and asked when the photos would be ready, so they could be posted on social-media sites, and shared among the attendees. She probably should have contacted the video company. But, knowing how the photos would be used, I delivered with a resolution and file size which was appropriate (or at least what I always deliver).

So I read a bit about 4K photos, and I still really don't get it. What I do kind of understand is if any photo is cropped in any way, you can't process it as 16:9 unless you really know how to do it, or you simply luck out (Am I way off?).

Speaking of cropping, in a recent similar situation, I attempted to put pictures on a profile for a new on-line referral service. Any photo that was not exactly 3:2 was not accepted. I gave up after many attempts and realized nothing that I had which was cropped could be put on the profile.

So what is 4K in photography?

Thanks - Dave

Comments