Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Using Photoshop CC 2019 Raw version 5 Histogram

MatrixphotoMatrixphoto Member
edited January 29 in post-processing
Hi Everyone 
Im using Photoshop CC 2019 Raw version 5 and I noticed a strange thing with the histogram from my Nikon D3s.
When I expose in camera I try and bring the Histogram to the right as much as possible,  but I noticed when I bring into Photoshop CC 2019 However 
there is a gap in the highlight , Ive included a image . Is Photoshop cutting the highlights/ Under exposing image ? Should I be concerned about this ? Any insights would be great.

Specs : 
D3s - Raw Adobe 1998 14bit
Photoshop Bridge - CC 2019 
Colour Space - Pro Photo 16 Bit 

Lou Recine - Matrix Photo

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 30
    Lou,

In a nutshell, 'Yes'.

It's kindly *automatically fixing* your image behind the scenes. (bastards)

I did a write up on that a long time back, where (back then) using (Calibration Tab settings) 2010 was preferable to using the then latest 2012 setting (now called versions not to be confused with Photoshop 'versions')

Go to your 'Calibration' Tab, select 'Version 2' and watch what happens.

Adobe thinks you are an idiot and wants to 'correct' your image from the get go behind the scenes.

Here is what happens when using the Version 5 (Current) setting, no clipping.

Then see what happens when you default back to the true 'as taken' image.

Version 5 (Current) setting:

Histogram:

Now here is what happens (true representation) of what your 'true as taken' shot when using Version 2: You see clipping.

Histogram:

As you can see, clipping as it should be.

So if you want an accurate representation of how you took the shot, set up a custom preference of using Version 2 and you get different and 'really as shot' version of how you took it.

Again, bloody Adobe thinks we 'need' help from the get go, and it annoys me.

Cheers,
    Trev.

1.jpg 92.3K
    2.jpg 40.7K
    3.jpg 110.6K
    4.jpg 35.7K
  • edited April 29
    It's so original, a great idea! This is important for me now, besides, I'm looking for a photo editing service for my wedding photos
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Hi Marryanderson,

Do you mean you are looking for a program for your wedding photos to edit in, or mean an actual service whereby someone does the editing for you?

Cheers,
    Trev

• i think i'm looking for a program

• Hi Marry 
    If you're just starting out I would start with photoshop elements , then you can upgrade to full  Photoshop  when when you advance.

Lou Recine
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Hi Marry,

Like Lou says try that, it's free, but Photoshop is a **HUGE** learning curve if you've never used it before.

I've been on Photoshop for around close to 26 years now, and I still learn something new every day.

What you could do is get a subscription (paid) with Lightroom, you have easier controls and 'Auto' options in there, still a big learning curve.

You will need to do some research.

One other free program which you can edit in to a certain extent, is:
    FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER

That's for PCs, Alternative for Macs are HERE

Have fun.
    Trev