Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Using two PocketWizard TT5 and AC3 units on two different cameras

StephenStephen Member
edited July 2011 in flash & lighting
Before I buy a second PocketWizard TT5 and AC3 unit (Nikon), I wanted to ask some of pros here.

Let's say I have two cameras. I want to put a PocketWizard TT5 and AC3 unit on each camera. They are both on the same channel, so I can remotely trigger flashes on their own PocketWizard TT5 units. Are these two camera's PocketWizard units going to interfere with each other?

Thanks.

Comments

• I have a buddy that has a dual D700 setup (one wide, one telephoto) and uses two FlexTT5 + AC3 units to control the same speedlights. The firmware from pocketwizard is a key though and some earlier ones were a bit buggy but it seems to work for him although there were a couple restarts . I was quite surprised to see it working but I'm sorry I don't own any (yet) to be able to offer more than this.

You can always contact them and explain. They might be able to guide you a bit better as they have beta testers raking their stuff over the coals to find the bugs.
  • Thanks for the comment. I'll contact Pocketwizard and ask about this.
  • The official response from PocketWizard Support is that I can have both cameras with this setup, but I will need to either wait 5 seconds between switching cameras or take a test shot on the second camera, so the units all resync. They do not advise shooting in rapid succession between cameras.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Yup ... you can use two cameras like that.

However, the TT5 setup has been a tough choice for the workshops.
    The reason is that anyone who even touches a shutter button, is initiating communication with the slave flash.
    So with a group of 5 or 6 people, the slave flash gets multiple (conflicting) instructions, and it just goes a little crazy shortly after.

For a single shooter, the TT5 works great. There are the occasional WTF? hiccup, but in general I am very happy with them.

For multiple shooters ... it's not a good choice.
  • Neil,
    Thank you for your input on this. I am in control of the two cameras, so I won't be shooting with them simultaneously. I will alternate the cameras. If I work with another photographer that is using a TT5 unit on the shoot, I will keep your experience in mind.

I also get the occasional WTF hiccups from the TT5, but they are very rare. I used them in my last set of photoshoots, and they worked well. (I just wished it saved the FEC information. haha)

Thanks!
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I don't think 2 or even 3 people would be an issue. But more than that ... chaos.
  • Noted. :-)

Thank you again for sharing your experience on this.