Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Speedlites and appropriate wireless triggers

woosterwooster Member
edited September 2011 in flash & lighting
Hi Neil

Are you able to adivse me please?

I have started shooting a few weddings/events and so far have stuck mainly to the flash on camera and bounced it, or else shot through a brolly nearby with STE2. I've used ETTL with all of this, but I do want manual control.
I am now looking to go wireless with my Canon system ( 580EXII, 580EX, 430EXII, ad STE2) I know that things have moved on a bit technologically with flash triggers since publication, of your last book so I thought I'd ask for your thoughts.
In particular I'm wondering whether to go with a "dumb trigger" solution like the Cybersync, or a more fancy one which allows for ETTL as well as manual. If I go with Cybersync I'm stuck with max sync speed and with my 5Dmk2 at the end of a wireless connection that might only be around 1/125s. Is this really enough? I know HSS has its problems but feel it might be beneficial to have a system which allows for this. What are your views?

If I go for a more highly specced system I'm torn between the Radio Poppers or the Pocket Wizards. The latter would worry me due to my using 580s and also I have heard a lot of reports of PWs frying these units. The whole thing seems a bit of a no-go for me!

That leaves Radio Poppers. Would you recommend them for my purposes. They are expensive but if they did the job I wanted I'd happily pay. The only issue is that I'd either have to lose a flash to sit it on my camera or use my STE2. The latter seems fine and I believe I could still use the flashes on manual when I wanted ( maybe most of the time?) as long as I made adjustments locally. This doesn't seem too much of a sacrifice to me.

Anyway these are my thoughts. I'd really welcome your advice on this and am grateful for your timein reading.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I do think that while you're investing money into wireless triggers, you may as well spend a little more money and get a system that allows TTL (and high-speed sync) too.

Then it's either the Radio Poppers or new PocketWizards.

Now, as far as I know, you can't set the flash to be manual from the ST-E2 ... it only allows TTL flash. (If I'm wrong, will someone correct me please.)

• Thanks Neil. I'm pretty torn between the RP and PW solutions. I like the way the PW are supposed to work but keep reading about how they are finicky and unreliable with Canon 580s ( and sometimes other flashes)

All a bit of a gamble it seems
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    For the Canon flash system, you have to have a rigorous work-around method in place to circumvent the radio-frequence noise that the 580 emits.

The simplest and most reliable system then would be the Radio-Poppers