Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

lightroom tips tricks

NaftoliNaftoli Member
edited December 2011 in news & discussions
does anyone have any cool lightroom shortcuts/tips, default presets, for instance i recently figured out a shortcut to take u to the basic panel in develop! just Press W twice, also if u quikly need to crop a photo by about 50 percent press R then press X twice

Comments

• Here's a few more keyboard shortcuts to be going on with:

Keyboard Shortcuts
  • thanx allen, also i find that the default 25 contrast added to raw photos is too little, so i tend to add approx +20 highlights +5 lights -4 darks and -5 shadows, what do u do
  • press shift + X to set as rejected and move to the next photo
  • AllenAllen Member
    edited December 2011
    I don't use Lightroom yet (although I can think of 100 reasons why I should ), I use Bridge & Camera RAW. I too find the default contrast a bit low so I adjusted the RAW default to 35 - I've not saved any curves adjustments as defaults or presets.

There's an article here where Neil briefly goes into his default settings for ACR.

Now back to the subject. When I'm correcting the exposure of an image, I often do a temporary crop (just selecting the crop tool and drawing a box round the area of interest is enough) either to exclude a distraction (bright sky) or to only include the most important part of the scene (or brightest relevant tone). The histogram now only covers the selection and allows you to place the subject appropriately according to its tone.

That leads neatly into my next tip. The six tone control sliders can be thought of as 3 pairs: the top 2 - exposure and recovery - are used to adjust the lighter tones (the right-hand end of the histogram). The next 2 - fill light and blacks - deal with the dark tones (left-hand end of the histogram). And the brightness and contrast sliders adjust the mid tones.

So here's what I do (working from top to bottom):
    Adjust the overall lightness of the scene using the exposure slider as mentioned above. Un-crop the image and use the recovery slider to retrieve any blown highlights. Adjust the fill light slider to lighten the dark areas and use the blacks slider to get rid of any haze/lack of contrast that might appear. Finally brightness and contrast to taste. Fine tuning of brightness and contrast can be done with the curves adjustment panel.

Agressive use of the top 4 sliders can result in a (pseudo) HDR monster. Use the preview button frequently.
  • i dont ever use recovery exept for creative effect! i find that it kills my photos, it should be called the dull slider cuz it seems to just take the life out of any photo u apply it to even if u use a tiny bit
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Naftoli,

In my opinion also, you are absolutely correct re Recovery Slider, I don't use it. Worse than useless. Creates an artificial 'white', especially if skintones are slightly blown, it goes an ugly grayish color, and rest of image is as you say, dull, hard to bring up properly.

You are much better off simply reducing exposure until the *relevant* whites or skintones are back to where you are happy with them, then fix image from there.

Sometimes if there are deep shadow areas of an image that are relevant to the overall photo, I will deliberately overexpose up to 1.5 stops, then drag the exposure back in my RAW converter, this way there is no exposure noise in shadows as when you open them back up all detail is perfect.

Exposure, White Balance is virtually all I work with then using designed actions to bring image back up much better.

Trev.

Edit: I need to qualify my statement, I have used it but very rarely in the past, and since I created a great action set where I get shadows to open [through masks, so it keeps relevant foreground], I don't use recovery any more. As the times I used it was in a quick fix, but 99.9% no. The image would need to be very important to keep and I was desperate. I have done some tests last couple of months with up to 2 1/3rd stops over, and recovered easily with exposure but brought image back up without using recovery slider, just dropping exposure way down.

• when i have to recover some over exposed skin tones due to dappled light or whatever, i first press cntrl+" to create a virtual copy then bring down the exposure of that copy till the overexposed parts look ok, then cntrl click on both photos to select them, right click on the photos, edit in, photoshop as layers, then with magic wand usually, select overexposed skintones give it some feathering and create an inverted mask
  • Ooh, I like that technique Naftoli - I forgot about selecting "edit in PS as layers". Thanks for the reminder !
  • looks like LR for got rid of recovery yay!
  • And from I'm seeing so far, LR4 is doing a 'much' better job at recovering highlights.
  • If you want to select ONLY the virtual copies in a folder/collection:
    Look at the little top panel called "Library Filter". All the way to the right of it is a section called "Kind." There are three buttons to click there: Master photos, virtual copies, and videos. Click one to show only that category!

You may have known this already, but this little piece of knowledge would have saved me (and a good friend of mine) lots of time, considering how many times i have gone through a collection, manually clicking each virtual copy.

LR3 and LR4
  • double click on any slider or the name of the slider to reset it too default, and triple click the name to enable u to control that adjustment via the keyboard + and - keys