Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Shooting with two lights

StephenStephen Member
edited April 2012 in flash & lighting
I'm referring to this article by Neil:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/07/10/lighting-wedding-formals-4-large-groups/

There are two umbrellas with lights, each remotely triggered.

Would they normally be grouped together (group A) or would each light be put in a different group? In other words, if you set your exposure settings, how do the flashes know individually how much light to put out? I'm worried about too much light coming out creating cross-shadows.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• He's using 2 Quantum flashes with PWII's to fire them. Each flash is set manually.
  • So, are they set to the same power?

From Neil's blog, manual flash is controlled by...
    - distance from your light source to your subject
    - power of your flash (including diffusion of your light)
    - aperture
    - ISO

For a wedding formal, distance is a set value. Aperture is probably a set value, since you want many people to be in focus. ISO and power are probably variable. Let's say ISO is set, how does one figure out the power to set from two different lighting sources?
  • Yes both flashes are set to the same power and distance. You can figure out the power settings by using a light meter or the LCD and histogram of your camera. Adjust the power of each flash until you get the correct exposure. For groups of 6-10 I only use one light slightly off to one side and feathered slightly to the opposite side for even light.
  • bobh665, thanks for explaining that. I'm so used to one light setups that I didn't realize I can do the same thing for two lights with a light meter/LCD histogram. Live and learn.