Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Question: SB-900 popping sound and built-in redundancy

StephenStephen Member
edited January 2011 in flash & lighting
I have an unusual question. Last night, I put a craft foam snoot over a SB-900 and fired it off remotely. After a few test shots (each flash fire was at least 30 seconds from each other), the next time the flash fired, I heard a popping sound. I took the snoot off and fired it again, and it was fine.

The popping sound made me think a bulb inside the SB-900 went out, but it looks fine. I noticed that the SB-900 has two bulbs, so is there built-in redundancy? I know Neil has stated that when he works with flash units, he pretty much treats them as consumable, since he has to work them hard. This SB-900 has hardly been fired, so I hope it isn't defective so soon.

I'm curious to know if anybody else has run into this. Thanks.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I've heard that popping sound as well when the black foamie thing is too large and floppy.

Move it so that it just effectively blocks the spill light. No more than that.
    And also zoom your flash-head to maximum.
    That should help.
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited January 2011
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for the advice. I will make the adjustments you suggest.

(I actually created a full snoot--basically, a tube--using the same material as the black foamie thing. I'll have to do some trimming.)