Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Panorama Question - Blending Modes in PS

MgarberMgarber Member
edited November 2012 in post-processing
I took a large panorama (almost 30 photos) but I'm having trouble with one detail.

On the right side of the panorama, I have one frame that does not have any direct sunlight, and in the neighboring frame the sun peaks in, giving it rich yellow highlights. We'll call them the cool layer and the warm layer.

There are actually about 4 or 5 frames in between the cool layer and the warm layer, but they all contain an unsightly radio tower that was blocking my view (I can stitch the details of the neighboring layers together without an obvious seam).

I want to make a smooth transition from the cool layer to the warm one, so i tried copying the cool layer and putting it on top of the warm layer, then trying the various blending modes. The best result i can get gives me pink highlights instead of yellow. Still not very convincing.

I have the original raw files in Lightroom, but I wasn't able to easily match white balance between the two frames there either. My next two ideas were to try "apply image" and "match color", but my luck with those has never been great.

I'll upload those two layers tonight.
Thanks!

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Mgarber,

One thing you can try, once you have the files adjusted in LR re density/exposure and WB happy with them [don't worry about the too cool image section] open them in Photoshop.

Before stitching, on the cool image apply an adjustment layer using Photo Filter; choose Warming Filter (85), [or Yellow which is the opposite of Blue] 25%-35% opacity.

When it applies on top, click on the white mask it generates, do a Ctrl/Cmd 'I' [as in letter 'eye'] that will inverse it and turn to black to hide, then using a Gradient Tool [make sure the swatches are set to default - White/Black] and the type of Gradient is Linear Gradient [first check box] and the Gradient itself is set to 'Foreground to Transparent [white to fading or black to fading depends on the Color Swatch, does not matter as long as they are set to default, hit letter D to reset them].

Now, holding the shift key, which allows for a perfectly straight line, or freehand up to you; draw across the image to reveal the section you want warm and stop where you still want it cool or not any warmer. Remember if you start with the foreground color black, draw where you 'don't' want it and let go where you want it to appear.

Your mask will now have some portion white/black.

Your warm will come through.

OR:

Alternatively, in LR, select a local brush, click on the tiny white box [marked on attached image], you get a color palette, select something appropriate, and gently brush where you want it warmer.

Make sure your brush opacity is somewhere like 30-50% and brush gradually to build up.

Probably the easiest, well it is, but not as elegant as a nice gradient, up to you.

Trev.

Edit:

Here is a nice warming combo: H 54; S 43 Make flow to around 50% or just experiment.

One more thing, with the brush, you can also change the exposure at the same time as if the section is in shade you can increase the exposure slider slightly to give it a lift.

Remember, with the color, less is more, don't go stupid thinking it looks perfect but then when it joins the section next to it, looks just wrong. Subtle is the key here.
  • Thanks Trev! I'll try that when I get home.