Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Photographing candle lit scenes

xenonxenon Member
edited April 2013 in home
How do you go about shooting a candle-lit scene? I've experiemented with the candle alone, with flash, various metering modes on my camera etc. but don't seem to get it right. Obviously I want the result to be something similar to the way I see it.

Comments

• Firstly, forget the flash. Secondly, what exactly are you trying to do? Photograph a candle? Or another subject lit by a candle? Will the candle be in the scene?
  • xenonxenon Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm trying to set up a shot with one or two persons sitting next to a table which is lit by a candle (or a similar type candle-lit shot) and make it actually look like that. I'm under the impression that a normal camera can't handle the dynamic range so I would have to use some fill-in flash to lighten up the surroundings.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Xenon,

If you have a video light [tungsten temp] I would judiciously apply a little of that on their faces. That way all the temp will be the same and you will get that effect you are after.

Or, depends if the couple are together, maybe get couple more candles, or have them move their faces together and closer to the candle/s [without getting their eyebrows singed].

That way it won't matter if there is a pretty drastic falloff as long as a small portion of their faces are somewhat exposed you should get the shot you are after.

Trev.
  • Or light some additional candles and strategically place them around the scene so they give you additional light to assist with exposure, but also so they are not within the shot.