Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Pocket wizard ac3

MikeZMikeZ Member
edited May 2013 in flash & lighting
By chance I found some info from pocket wizard hat states that you MUST press the test button on the tt1 after making power adjustments on the ac3. They say that changes will not take effect until this is done. I have used the ac3 for a year and never noticed any changes not taking effect. Am i the only one that never heard this before?

Comments

• StephenStephen Member
    I have never heard of this before. None of the original AC3 documentation mentioned this.
  • MikeZMikeZ Member
    Ok I thought I was losing my mind. I went online yesterday to check for firmware updates, which, I never get emailed about. While reading the info it said if you remember anything it is to hit the test button after making adjustments to make sure the info is relayed. Here are a few screens shots and the link. http://www.pocketwizard.com/support/downloads/
  • MikeZMikeZ Member
    Hopefully this gets lots of reads for those with the newest firmware update.
  • StephenStephen Member
    MikeZ,
    Sorry, I haven't been around the forums of late, but thank you for posting those screenshots.

I have not upgraded my TT5 firmware recently, so I wasn't aware of these documentation changes. I use the TT5 units, which according to the latest documentation, says you "may" need to press the TEST button to transmit the speedlight info properly. For the TT1, the documentation says you "must" press the TEST button.

That is probably why I never had any real trouble with my remote TT5 not getting the right AC3 settings. (It's never been 100% perfect, but the latest documentation makes it sound like the mismatches happen a lot more often.)
  • MikeZMikeZ Member
    I use a tt1 on cam for now with the ac3 and have had no issues. I have not done the newest upgrade either...not sure I will...lol I don't want to push any other buttons in the middle of a wedding if I don't have to.... :-)
  • Hi

I contacted PW directly some time ago about my Mini and Flex for Canon not firing, syncing etc.
    I was advised to ensure that both units had the latest firmware. Then
    Turn everything on from top to bottom.
    IE: flash, flex, then mini and take a test shot at 1/125s.
    hope this helps.
  • MikeZMikeZ Member
    I have no reliability issues. I rarely have had a misfire in almost two years. I just don't like the idea of having to push the test button to ensure my exposure changes after adjustment on the ac3.