Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

is my flash dying?

NaftoliNaftoli Member
edited June 2013 in home
i have been using an sb910 for 1 to 2 years now with no problems, however on my most recent gig, out of the 500 plus photos i took, the on camera speedlight randomly misfired about 15 times has anyone had similar issues with there speedlights? is it time to buy a new one?

PS, i shoot with a d800 and am a bft user meaning im often using the flash at or close to its max, i was shooting in full manual and it was not an issue of recycle time or standby mode

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    edited October 2013
    It could be the hot-shoe of the camera giving problems too.
  • hmm, thanx Neil! it doesnt seem shaky in the hot shoe but ill do some tests
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Naftoli,

I had the same thing with my Canon the other day [wife using it, I shoot Nikon] and flash misfired several times and only when I 'wriggled' it a bit. Suspected not good connection and since I was out in the field, I used some of my lens cleaner and just rubbed vigorously on the camera hotshoe as I suspected it may be dirty, and yep, never missed a blink after that.

Clean the contacts on both the camera hotshoe and the bottom of the flash hotshoe. Don't use the lens cleaner though, [that was in an emergency] use Isopropyl which will dry very cleanly and almost instantly.

Trev
  • MikeZMikeZ Member
    Had the same issue with one of my sb800s. It was the shoe of the flash. Replaced it myself for the cost of the part. I think a lot of whipping the camera into portrait wiggles them around lol...
  • I heard something about using an eraser to wipe your contacts, gets you back up and running. Never did it myself.