Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

24-70 vs 24-105 I need advice before purchasing.

Mo4753Mo4753 Member
edited March 2013 in Canon
I am looking to purchase a new lens in the 24-70 range. I really want the new canon 24-70 f2.8 but cannot afford $2300 at the moment.

Therefore I am considering the following options.

1- trying to find a used canon 24-70 f2.8 of the old version

2- a sigma 24-70 f2.8 for around $900

3- the canon 24-105 f4L for around $1,000

My purposes are to use the lens for event photography and general purpose/street photography. If I am doing event photography I will be using a flash so I wouldnt need a 2.8 anyways.

I will need a lens that is consistently tack sharp with lightning fast autofocus. I dont care if it has a motor that makes noise or if it is as heavy as a brick.Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Get the used Canon 24-70. Just because there is a newer, sharper one doesn't make the first gen any less great. Neil doesn't like it because it is slightly soft at 24mm, but it is still better than any of the 3rd party lenses. The 24-105 is sharp, but has harsh background blur.

If you have a cropped sensor camera, then get the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. A more useful range and optically brilliant.
  • ive heard good things about the new tameron 24-70 vc...
  • I ended up with the canon 24-105 f4

at first I hated it. I wanted to return it. My 70-200 f4L is so tack sharp, i expected more from the 24-105

it took me a while to get used to it, and now I like it alot.
  • "My purposes are to use the lens for event photography and general purpose/street photography. If I am doing event photography I will be using a flash so I wouldnt need a 2.8 anyways."

Event photography usually entails low light situations. You may not shoot @ F/2.8, but your camera will focus faster and more accurately with the F/2.8, rather than being "half blind" with an F/4.0. I love my 24-70 F/2.8L, and although my favourite lens is the 70-200 F/2.8L IS, it just isn't practical for much indoor use.

Best all round choice for my money is the 24-70
  • If you want to extrapolate common shooting scenarios from only the best Reuters shots of this year, then f2.8 is the aperture used more often than any other. It's just the real world, with light in it.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/02/the-most-popular-cameras-and-settings-for-reuters-best-photos-of-the-year-2012/
  • jhilgersjhilgers Member
    edited April 2013
    Mo,
    I have both the EF24-105 f/4L and EF24-70 f/2.8L II lenses. Do you need any RAW files to examine from the EF24-70mm f/2.8L II lens?
    I can use it on either my 1D-X or 5D Mark III camera bodies. If your interested let me know what settings (aperture, ISO etc) you want it used at.