Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Best Macro Lens for D7000

jojojojo Member
edited November 2011 in Nikon
please advise what Macro lens would be best for the above camera? I would like to shoot flowers/ orchids / pets with great detail.
In addition, I do equestrian shoots of ranches and farms - and utilize an f2.8 70-200 VR11.

Thanks!

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2013
    jojo,

This one is very popular and judging by the reviews is a winner.

Nikon 105 f2.8 Lens

Neil's List of Lenses includes that lens.

Trev
  • buy some extension tubes they sell a set of 3 in b&h stack them with ur 70-200 and ur set
  • Are these the kenco ones? What particular brand? Thanks!
  • i use ziekos since theres no glass in extention tubes im not afraid to go off brand and there so cheap compared to a lens
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeikos+extention+tubes&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
  • mvheystmvheyst Member
    edited November 2011
    Camera Lens Ratings by DxOMark

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Camera-Lens-Ratings

From all lenses tested by the DxOMark website, the No. 1 lens is:
    Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Macro Lenses for the D7000 as per DxOMark ratings:

1. Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    2. Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G
    3. Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR

The Tamron 90mm macro lens isn't on the list, but it received a very good review from Photozone:

" The Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di is a superb lens without any significant flaws and it's easily as good as the corresponding (classic) Micro-Nikkor - the resolution figures are extremely high, vignetting is marginal, CAs are low and distortions are non-existent. The build quality may be slightly inferior in comparison to the Nikkor but then the price tag is also substantially lower so the verdict can only be - HIGHLY recommended! "

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/283-tamron-af-90mm-f28-di-sp-macro-nikon-mount-lab-test-report--review?start=1
  • Hi Jojo,

It is very difficult to define 'the best' macro lens. In general these kind of lenses perform on a very high level so that won't make much of a difference.

When you narrow down your list take this into account:

Do you work hand-held or do you use a tripod? If you use a tripod than is a tripod collar a great advantage. When working with close working distances from a tripod a minor rotation can make a big difference in composition and sure makes life easier.

What kind of background are you looking for? When you seek those great blurred background a longer focal length will be preferred. Think of a focal length of 100mm or more. When you want your subject is its environment than is a shorter focal length more adequate.

How big is your subject and how much do you want to be in focus? A long lens will give you very narrow DOF so take this into account. A trick is to use a 105 VR in conjunction with a 1.7convertor. This gives you more working distance but won't affect DOF.

When you work from a tipod a VR (OS, IS, whatever) will not help you.

Personally I will not use a macro lens for shooting pets, assuming that they will not stay still. A macro lens give you not the fastest AF. Besides you have a 70-200 which is excellent for pets.

A have used a lot different macro lenses which includes a lenses mentioned in this post. When you are a pixel peeper you MIGHT see a difference but really i doubt it. From my experience to find the right focal length for your taste is the big challenge...

A good starting point is something around 85 - 105 mm is good. Personally I end up with a 25mm macro lens and a 150mm (on DX). But again, this is not 'the best' combination for evertone but suits my needs, style and preference.

Hope this help. Please let me know if you need more info.

Jeroen
  • edited January 2013
    I have the Nikon 105mm F2.8 Micro as well. Excellent Lens.

also, not mentioned, which I own, is the Nikon 60mm F2.8D Micro
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    JoJo ... also consider getting the Canon 500D close-up lens. It acts like a 77mm filter you screw onto the front of your 70-200, turning it into a macro lens.

It's a good work-around if you don't want to invest in a dedicated macro lens.

• I find the macro tubes on a zoom lens to be very fiddly, but effective. Does a close-up lens improve the fiddlyness at all? Do you still have to stop down to a tiny pinhole to get depth of field?
  • dof is not decreased by using extention tubes. dof is decreased due to subject to camera distance. a macro lens can be less "fiddly" b/c depending on how close up a photo u want u may have to switch extension tubes. heres an SOOC shot (just some contrast and output sharpening applied) taken with a 50mm and extention tubes http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=326588900748226&set=a.326588730748243.74267.286484681425315&type=3&theater all photos in this album were shot with extension tubes as well
  • ^all shot with the d7000
  • Great detail! I have been using my 70-200 f4 and extension tubes to scan slides recently, with good results. But it is imperative to keep conditions exactly the same to get sharp results. The 70-200 f4 L IS is sharpest at f5.6, which means the depth of field is so shallow that a small warp in the film will cause part of the "scan" to be out of focus.

On top of that, I have to tape the focus and zoom rings and stabilize my tripod. Subsequently, my girlfriend is bound to come down the stairs, trip over the tripod, and exile me to the roof.
  • I have been using the Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1
    with a Nikon 300s. This has given some good results and not to expensive well worth a look.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronsp90/