Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

the black foamie thing

haanshaans Member
edited April 2013 in flash & lighting
I made a DIY "black foamie thing" after watching the youtube video by Neil. I used a simple mousepad cut into a rectangle shaped and with a velcro I fastened to the other side of my Canon flash.

I noticed because the way I fold my DIY "black foamie thing" on top of my flashgun, there are certain areas blocking the flash. So instead of the flash capable to fire full without obstruction, with my DIY thing, probably 2-5% of flash lights might be block, hitting the black foam due to the angle how I twist & fold my DIY "black foamie thing". I am not sure you get the picture of this. I can upload a photo of this to help explain.

Anyway, the point is I just want to ask if the "black foamie thing" will actually causes the flash to use more power as at the end of the day, one has to increase more FEC due to this add on.

Comments

• Hi Haans ,
    Just make sure that the BFT doesn't stick out too much , mine only sticks out about an inch just enough to prevent direct light from spilling onto the subject .

Lou
  • definitely u have to use more power when using the black foamie thing, but there should be no difference in fec
  • jhilgersjhilgers Member
    edited April 2013
    Be sure to zoom your flash out to as far as it will go too; Neil made note of this in some of his videos that are available on Youtube. I manually set my 600EX-RTs to the fixed 200mm setting.

Additional things that really help out with the power consumption are a good external battery pack for your flash and high quality batteries: http://preview.tinyurl.com/br66ps8

If you do this you will notice that your flashes will obviously recycle faster and not overheat as quite as easily. Yes I intentionally tried overheating my 600EX-RTs to test this.

I used the standard (4) battery loadout inside the flash and flashes as many times as I could until the screen display turned orange. The new 600EX-RT's screen change to red when they are getting too hot.

I did the same thing again with the Canon battery pack attached. I set the internal power settings on the 600EX-RT to then use the battery pack as its primary power source for the flash head. The (4) internal batteries (inside the flash) were set to provide power to the display only.

This time it took longer to overheat the flash which was considerably noticeable.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    jhilgers said: I did the same thing again with the Canon battery pack attached. I set the internal power settings on the 600EX-RT to then use the battery pack as its primary power source for the flash head. The (4) internal batteries (inside the flash) were set to provide power to the display only.
    That is interesting, I don't own the 600s as use Nikon, but a mate has them with the battery packs, so he would be interested.

In the menu options I presume so which menu/setting can you do this JH?

Thanks,
    Trev
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Yup, it will most definitely eat up some power ... and this is why the BFT is usually pulled back or rolled back so it's just an inch or two that hangs over and flags the light.

And, as mentioned, if you zoom to the longest setting, then you lose less juice because less light hits the black foam.
  • jhilgersjhilgers Member
    edited April 2013
    Sure, have him follow these steps, I will include a screenshot of the owners manual that explains it and the overheating warning too.

1. Turn on 600EX-RT
    2. Press and hold down the "Zm/C.Fn" button (button #1 above Mode button left side)
    - The custom function list will appear.
    3. Use the scroll wheel in the middle and scroll down through the list until you get to "C.Fn 12"
    4. Hit the "SEL/SET" button in the middle of the scroll wheel to select it.
    - two choices will show in the list with the little icons you saw in the screenshot attachment "600EX-RT External Batter Custom Functions.jpg".
    5. Select the second choice in the list. (i.e. 1:), this will have the little icon of what looks like an external batter pack with a cord coming from its left side.
    6. Once selected hit the "SEL/SET" button in the middle of the scroll wheel again to set your selection.
    7. Hit the little return arrow button to exit the special functions list and return to the main Speedlite menu view. (button #4 above the ON/OFF switch right side).

Your done!

Keep in mind even if you have this function set your flash will resort to using the internal (4) batteries to charge the flash head unless you have the external battery pack plugged into the flash unit. Once you have the battery pack plugged in, the unit will start using it for charging its flash instead.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited April 2013
    JH,

Excellent!! :)

Thanks very much, have copied it out, appreciated the time and effort for text and page shots.

This will come in handy for him, as he is very concerned about over-heating, but no matter what I tell him, he's still unsure so having control of it this way will help tremendously for his confidence as he is pretty new to bouncing, etc. and flash in general.

Trev.
  • I am trying to use it with my SB910 and it's white card