Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Laptop Screen Calibration?

ShulimShulim Member
edited October 2013 in post-processing
I got my X-Rite i1Display Pro calibrator. Did a great job on my NEC, but when calibrating my laptop, it gave me instructions on adjustments to make, and I ended up worse off than when I started.

Anybody here ever successfully calibrate a laptop?

I use a Lenovo Y510P laptop

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Shulim,

That's because your laptop does not have inbuilt hardware for monitor calibration like your NEC and using Spectraview for the NEC which has the 3D LUTs Hardware in the monitor so the laptop cannot be calibrated the same way and would rely solely on a device and software that come with that devive, ie: X-Rite i1 Display Pro.

I would load the software that come with the i1 Display Pro onto the laptop and use that instead of Spectraview which I presume you loaded onto the laptop.

Let us know how you went.
  • That's what I tried earlier, and it didn't have a good result. But I redid it, and it looks OK now. Thanks
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    ahhh, okie, remember, with a new color correct display monitor you now have like the NEC, anything else is going to look really terrible in comparison, but take the advice earlier, re-calibrate the laptop a few times in a row, it should improve.

Also, when calibrating, make sure the laptop was turned on for at least half an hour for it to settle down before calibrating, and calibrate it in the environment you will use it in, don't calibrate in a dark bedroom, then take it out to a bright lounge room to use.
  • ShulimShulim Member
    edited October 2013