Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Color Checker Pro Passport

hkulahkula Member
edited February 2014 in portraits & people
Just wondering how many people are using the Color Checker Pro Passport as part of their color management workflow? Is it a good investment? Are their better alternatives?

Comments

• ZenonZenon Member
    edited February 2014
    I own and I don't know if it is me but I'm not getting accurate colour. I don't know why but the blues are always over saturated. Skin tones look fine. When I was testing I would get my wife to put her hand in the frame to see the skin tones. I noticed her teal sweater was blue. I repeated the procedure several times a the blues are always more saturated than the Canon colours.

I know people swear by it and it is very user friendly. I have thought of using it again but have never really found an answer.

Actually my wife dropped some tea off so I asked her which colour is your sweater - upper hand corner. She picked image #2, Canon colours which is what I see as well. Image #1 is Passport. Skin tones look fine but I wonder is Passport representing everything I see out there accurately.

I grabbed some blue items to help with the test.

imageimage
    1.jpg 344.2K
    2.jpg 325.5K
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Zenon,

I don't own/tried Passport and never will in all likelihood, but 'teal' is one of those colors that always looks blue on the back of the camera's LCD. The first time I come across a bridesmaid wearing 'teal' and no matter what temp I set come out blue.

However, the funny thing is, if the rest of the colors look right on the LCD and then I open them up in either ACR or LR, the damn 'teal' looks correct.

• Even the cap on the headache pills (she needs a lot living with me) is far more saturated than the original colour. Image #2 is much closer. I did ask about this at POTN but it never really went anywhere. When I compared the actual passport colour swatch you see on the table to Adobe Standard's colour on my monitor all the colours where a little more saturated but the blues really popped.

Question is how much does it matter? I have to admit #2 looks more rich overall and the skin tones are close. I have not tried this in the real world yet. Maybe I should one day as it can't do any harm.
  • Thank you for your feedback. My intent in using the color checker passport is to get very similar colors out of two cameras (D800 & D700) when used in the same location at a given time. By the way.... what monitor calibration system are you using?
  • ZenonZenon Member
    edited February 2014
    That will do a perfect job. Like I said super easy to set up and it does it all for you.

I have an NEC monitor. I had Spyder but it did not play nice with my NEC. I purchased NEC SpectraView II and it is the cat's meow.. SpectraView is was designed for NEC by X-Rite. The Press Press department used X-Rite equipment when I was in the industry. I know there similar ones that are not NEC specific and I'd look into that line as I have read good things about that company. Someone my have other suggestions because I'm a little biased. SpectraView saved me from buying a new monitor.

• TrevTrev Moderator

Totally agree with Zenon on getting Spectraview if you have an NEC and using an xRite Display1 Pro with it to get best results.

Hkula, don't you own an Samsung monitor, I seem to recall you posting in a monitor calibration thread some time back, along with using a Spyder 3 ???

That would mean you would be 'software' calibrating and not 'hardware' calibrating like you do with an NEC, Eizo, LaCie range of color hardware profiled monitors.

Obviously you would need to do maybe some different 'profiles' if you can, storing them, then getting a test print done and compare to see which 'profile' looks the most accurate to you when comparing to the color test print.

Oh, by 'test print' I don't mean an ordinary image, I mean a proper lab standard test print at a pro lab to then compare against the monitor. Make sure you tell the lab NO adjustments whatsoever.

When comparing against the monitor's view, do not hold it side by side, view the test print in good light holding it away from the monitor so you have to twist your head back and forth, otherwise the monitor's screen light will reflect onto the print and screw the true color.

I have upload a test print, it's 12 x 18 inches, get it printed in *that* size, you need to see something big in comparison to your monitor's relative size. No use looking at a tiny 6x4 which is compressed.

• Yes your right I do have a Samsung Monitor SyncMaster 2493HM and the Spyder 3 pro which I have owned for many years. I am trying to determine if I can improve my color management system by acquiring the i1display pro and the xrite color checker pro?
  • TrevTrev Moderator

I see, well the xRite i1Display Pro certainly is a great device, and if you are willing to spring for it I would say yes, but I am biased, used them for years. Tried the Color-Munki once, too long winded for my tastes.

The xRite Color Checker Pro, no experience with that.

Good luck.
  • I know that a lot of people use Spyder successfully and I'm no expert but like Trev everything I have read the Color-Munki has mixed reviews but the xRite i1Display Pro gets nothing but good press. If I were in the market and had a non NEC monitor then I would be taking a serious look at it. But that is just me.

My personal experience is with using Spyder compared to X-rite is like me changing my flat tire compared to this. Sorry I had to.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/pitstop.html
  • Thanks again to all for your responses.
  • I use an X-Rite ColorChecker Passport (never heard of a Pro version) and its an integral part of my color management. However it is still critical to have a properly profiled and calibrated screen display.

I use a combination of ColorEyes Display Pro software with an X-Rite DTP94 colorimeter (these are no longer manufactured and are hard to find but they are probably the best consumer level colorimeters).
    http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html

From there, I've created Dual-Illuminant (shaded daylight & tungsten) profiles for all my cameras. Once my photos are imported into Lightroom or Adobe Bridge I'm assured I'm seeing an accurate color representation. Dual-illuminant profiles are superior because they are in effect calibrating your camera sensor's output to a known standard (the color-checker).

Its important to note too that the provided X-Rite software is not the only tool for making camera profiles. There's also the free software provided by Adobe, which in many regards is superior since it can be adjusted in ways that cannot be done by the X-Rite software: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocumentation.pdf

Many people prefer the output from the Adobe software as it is less contrasty than the X-Rite profiles.