Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

enlargement of a Nikon D3 / D3s image

Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
edited December 2010 in post-processing
Steve Bishop wrote:

Hi Neil

Great newsletter, as always. I look forward to receiving it as it always has great info or tips to improve what I do. I am getting amazing results with on camera flash now, so thanks and thanks again!!

One question I have which I hope you can help me with. I have a Nikon D3S and I've been asked to shoot some commercial images that the client wants to blow up to A1 & A0 size posters. Do you happen to know what the D3S resolution can be blown up to before it runs out of gas?

Thanks a bunch
Steve Bishop

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Hi there Steve ...

Comparing the metric print sizes:

A0 size = 1189 x 841 mm / 46.8 x 33.1 inches

The Nikon D3 sensor is 4256 x 2832 pixels.

If you print with 300 pixels per inch, then you can get a print that is (4253/300 = 14 inches) x (2832/300 = 9.44 inches)

So you can natively print to 14x9.5 inches without enlarging the image, when you print at 300 ppi

If you settle for 230 ppi ... and then I did a google search ... and found this site which explains it even better:

http://www.design215.com/toolbox/print_guide.php

if you print to 150 ppi then you can natively print to 28.6 x 18.6 inches without up-rezzing.

As they mention there, viewing distance is everything. People are unlikely to scour a poster in a shopping mall for detail.

so you could still up-rez the file to get to the sizes you want.

Ultimately, it seems like renting a D3x might be the better choice here.

Neil vN
  • Another factor to consider along with viewing distance is subject matter. If the subject is not particularly detailed, the file will stand up to interpolation better than one that's full of geometric cues and fine lines.

I frequently print 20x30 and even 24x36 from my D200. No photographer would ever mistake the results for images from a medium or (drool) large format camera, but as long as the clients are happy...