Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

help with buisness card

NaftoliNaftoli Member
edited April 2012 in news & discussions
trying to make myself a normal looking buisness card i shoot a variety of things mostly events like weddings and bar/batmitzvas i also dabble in microstock, although im not a great designer, i spent a few hours in photoshop playing with ideas, i dont even have a logo yet maybe ill use this as a logo too, this is what i have so farimage im pretty much decided against putting photos on the card b/c i think it can look amateurish and i dont want to put myself into a category, any advice/comments would be appreciated

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    To make your business card look like a pro job and also be elegant, try to avoid those fonts you have used in the above sample.

They don't look elegant, afraid to say.

Verdana, Calibri, Adobe Gothic, Bauhaus, BankGothic, Berlin Sans, all nice elegant fonts.

Oh, some small spacing between letters can look good, just remember to put double spacing between the words though to really separate them.

If you are a script font type, avoid the really heavy [thick] ones.

Pick something sans-serif, and remember, less is more.

State your business name, contact/website details and pretty much leave it like that, don't fill it up with all sorts of information.

Just my take on it.

Trev.
  • thanx trev! i know nothing about fonts, ill try that, r the fonts u mentioned built in to photoshop?
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited April 2012
    If you have Word, open a blank document, then type something, and go to the fonts menu and look at all the samples. But those fonts apart from BankGothic I think were in mine default.

Let me know, via message on Inbox with your email I can zip/send them if need be.

Trev.

Edit: If windows machine, go to C drive/Windows/Fonts and select Large Icons as your viewing preference, it gives the fonts showing the sample and name.

Image below:

• NaftoliNaftoli Member
    thanx trev somthing like this is what u mean ?imageand what is the best way to drag it over to PS
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Also, I'd just drop the lens image there. You don't need it.
    Strip the design down to just the necessary elements. The rest is clutter.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    KISS method as Neil says, Keep It Simple Stupid :)

when you say best way to drag it over to Photoshop, I am presuming you mean the Word Doc. You don't. When I said use Word, I meant just to see all the samples of type, but it's a good idea to get an overview of what it will look like using Word, you need to create it in Photoshop along with any color, wording, etc.

Just create a Photoshop Document to business card size, I don't know what size you guys use over there, [US] but basically a card here [Australia] is 90mm x 55mm with varying sizes of course.

Have you also considered an online supplier/printer, you can create your own or use a template of their design, these are generally cheaper than doing your own and going to a printer.

However, you need to be mindful of the type of stock the card is printed on and the coating, etc.

You need elegance, classic and a nice card stock otherwise it just looks/feels cheap and dodgy.

Be mindful if using colors as to what will mix, I see a lot of cards using a black background, with yellow/red type, small and serif and the wording gets lost in the background. You can have a black background but you need to make sure the type does not get lost, that's why I said to avoid serif in small fonts, all those little bits twirls/curls bleed into any background unless printed on very good stock with a good print press.

The card above, if that's it, where are the contact details, phone, web unless you are also printing both sides.

I'd go to a local printer in your area, ask to see business card stock, weight, coating samples etc., and get an idea of what will/won't work. They are only too willing to show you.

Trev.
  • dgvdgv Member
    www.moo.com has samples you could use...you could even get some one to design your card for you the first time and then just print them as often as you need them.
  • StephenStephen Member
    I second dgv's suggestion. Moo cards also feel different to the touch and are durable, so they stand out from the other card stock.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    thankyou everybody for your input, Neil i think ill keep the lens but maybe pull it left a little so its less prominent i feel like i need some kind of graphic to keep it interesting, trev, dgv, stephen, thanx i think ill use MOO.com to print the cards, there size is 1039x697 pixels, as far as contact details i will stick in my website below the phone number, trev im not sure im understanding what to do with word and samples of type if u can please elaborate
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Naftoli,

It was merely a way to see what a type font looked like say in Word, to make choosing a font easier since when you choose a font in Photoshop or in general, it's fairly small so you cannot see what it looks like actual size you would be using, and I just meant to open Word, type something in the sizes you will be using, then merely change the fonts, so you can see which will suit you.

I don't mean you create your business card in word, only to check what fonts look like.

But in my second post above [the third one from the top] I did say you can also view your actual fonts folder, and choose Icons as the viewing style, that way you can get a very quick overview of all your fonts on your system.

Trev

• NaftoliNaftoli Member
    oh i think i get it now, i thought u first meant to do the typing in word b/c they have more fonts to choose from, and then drag that onto my open photoshop document card layout, but really ur saying that its much easier to switch btwn fonts and preview what fonts look like in word, and photoshop has the same fonts that word has. am i correct?
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Yep!

Fonts live in a folder, not just in individual programs, now when you install a program like Word, it may contain more fonts since that's part of the program, installing more fonts, but those fonts are now available to you elsewhere, like Photoshop.

You can also look at font sites, some free, some paid, and choose a font you like and download. [Be aware some sites may be malicious]

To install a font, you merely double click it, it will 'install' to it's correct folder and it then becomes accessible.

Good luck with the card.