Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

A question about glare and reflections in eyeglasses / angle of incidence

Mo4753Mo4753 Member
edited May 2012 in news & discussions
Hi ,

After reading this forum , I have learned about the angle of incidence and some ways to avoid reflections in eyeglasses by bouncing a flash at a better angle.

In this photo which was taken using only natural light outdoors during the midday sun, I noticed a reflection in the glasses that I was not happy with.

Have a quick look at the photo and tell me if there is anything I can do to help avoid reflections in eyeglasses while using natural light.

Thankyou.

Canon t2i with Canon 70-200f4 IS @ 155mm f4 1/50th sec

Comments

• NaftoliNaftoli Member
    in my experience when dealing with reflections outdoors like this many times ur pretty much stuck, best advice is to clean the glasses well and try having the subject tilt chin down c if it changes
  • MgarberMgarber Member
    I also have a question on this topic. I do a lot of video interviews (I try to compose the frame similar to a portrait), and by minding the angle of incidence I can keep the glare out of the subject's glasses, but often times the frames will cast a shadow onto the temple.

I don't have that many video lights available to me, and trying to fill the shadow on the temple with another light tends to just cast a second shadow from the glasses frame.

Any suggestions? (other than ask the subject to remove his glasses)
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    r u using a modifyer on ur main light, if so try using a larger one which will eliminate or soften the shadow, also regarding rflections in ambient light u can try using a black reflector to block/absorb light coming from angle of reflectance
  • Mo4753Mo4753 Member
    Mr. Naftoli -

Thank you for your suggestion. Your idea makes perfect logical sense.If I am working in natural light and have no control over the angle of the light, I can try to control the angle by asking the model to tilt their chin up or down to try to get a better angle.

Mo