Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Instead of making beautiful photos, I am...

edited July 2013 in news & discussions
pressure washing a carpet. Yup, you can take a carpet and get it really clean if you subject it to a pressure washer. At first I had the carpet side up but figured out that turning it over (white side up) makes the cleaning go much better and you can see the stains come out. We already tried cleaning it with a wet and dry vac...by doing this we are saving about $500

Now for why I started this discussion: We are trying to move and are fixing up our house so that leaves 0 time for photos. Drywalling, painting, cleaning, packing, etc is taking up most of our time. I steel 10 minutes here and there to eat and read at the same time and squeeze in some wedding book editing...and to start fun(ny) discussions?

So, what are you doing instead of making beautiful photos?

Rudy

Comments

• Working and being the most productive piece of government (military) property I can be!
  • ZenonZenon Member
    Well except for shooting my goddaughters grad I have not been pressing the shutter too much lately. My ATV started acting up and the annual fishing trip with boys was coming up so I decided to fix it myself. The more I took apart the more I found wrong with it. You tube sure comes in handy for that stuff. That overlapped into the fence replacement project. So today actually is the first day I have had to myself in about 6 weeks. However we are off to Gros Morne National park in Newfoundland and Maine on Sat for a 3 week vacation. Click, click and more clicking. Gonna make up for lost time.
  • I took the day off from working on the house yesterday and took my wife and kids to a lake that has a "beach." I was so happy to fire off a few shots...Anyway, today it was back to laying carpet, tomorrow is painting and trim work. Then some siding work (I exchanged a a door for a window), paint the front deck, yard work, etc. Then vacation in the Adirondacks, followed by filling a moving truck and heading to Ohio. Fun stuff kids :)
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    No wonder your nick is 'travelintrevor'. Have fun. :)
  • Trev,

I picked that up while living in Germany. Long story short:

Several women from Iowa were traveling to Germany to visit a friend and rented a car from me (Military base).
    They then decided that I would drive them all over Europe.
    The lady they were visiting had a baby named....Trevor
    He went with us and never made a sound.
    One of them made the comment that he "...is such a good little traveling Trevor."
    After that weekend, I used that nickname to remind me of an amazing time with a bunch of women that picked up a guy from a car rental company and then trusted him with their lives.
    It was, without a doubt, one of the best experiences of my life. Just last week I found a letter from one of the women, complete with contact info and she will receive a phone call very soon.

PS: It was a completely sex free experience...oh come one...the guys reading this had that cross their minds :)

Rudy
  • No... sex never entered my mind, just... who calls a baby "Trevor"?
  • Trying to decide whether or not to add digital only cd as an option to my pricing. Not loving the idea. Get some requests. Not sure how to break it down into amount of photos and price...lol seems to me it should cost more but I think the public has the opposite idea. Maybe I'll just keep adding pics to my website portfolio instead hahaa!
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I'm never not busy. :)

Today I updated the info pages of my studio, regarding rental of the studio.
    With the help of my web techie guy, the navigation was streamlined ... and the pages are now grouped on their own (isolated from the rest of my website).

I also updated the Showcase page, where I show examples of various photo sessions I've done there. With this I wanted to show what is possible in the studio space and surroundings.

http://neilvn.com/studio/photo-session/
  • edited August 2013
    I saw the post and studio looks very nice. I am also working on a new website and actually have a real domain name. I went with squarespace.com and love the simplicity. It also comes with an integrated blog since I do enjoy writing but forget that I have one since it is not part of a main site.
    Anyway, I am working hard on making it look good....also joined a photography club based out of Cincinnati...started a Facebook page....packing up for our move (still) and editing photos and finished a wedding book. I did get to shoot some landscapes just a few days ago...

The final edit does not have the blurred trees.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Beeeeeeee-ute-teee-full . . . !!! Love the composition. 1/4 sec or longer?

I would not have worried about the 'blurred' trees, it's part of the image.
  • Hi Trev,

Thanks for the kind words.

This was one of those shots that I really wanted to look good on the big screen so I was glad when it turned out better than expected. As far as the trees, it actually is an issue when you print it larger than 8x10 or 8x12. I have a few landscapes 20x30 and larger and they really need to be perfect.

This was 20 seconds at f/11 using a 10 stop ND. Somehow it was shot at hyper-focal distance and I was able to skip having to focus stack.

The 20 meg file is pretty sweet and I can't wait to get it printed.

Rudy
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Thanks, it certainly was long exposure then read the 10-stop ND, no wonder it's silky smooth.

Understand now the edit on trees.

Trev
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
  • Yes, great shot. Just got back from my vacation. Finally got lots to work with.

1. Norris, Point, Newfoundland

2. Somewhere in Maine

3. Old bowling alley in Booth Bay Harbour, Maine

• I like them...and this made me start another discussion :)