Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Moving Fonts and Photoshop Actions

PDH7981PDH7981 Member
edited January 2015 in home
I'm getting a brand new computer which I'll need to install Photoshop CS6. I would like to prepare all my Fonts and Actions to port over to my new system when it arrives. Does anyone know how to port over your Fonts and Actions from one computer with CS6 to a new computer with a fresh install of CS6?

Comments

• I saved my directory on the old computer where fonts were located and also actions.... and then paste it to new computer - same directory. Shouldn't be any problems.

Fonts should be here: controlpanel/personalization/fonts
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited August 2014
    David,

I can show you how to resurrect *all* your settings in CS6 so that it will look exactly like you had it set up on old PC.

First up fonts, as Sasko1 says, but unless you have loaded special fonts, there should be no need.

Now, regarding CS6 migrating your settings. I presume you have CS6 64-Bit?

First up, there are two areas you need to get stuff from.

1: Workspace_Settings & 2: Plug-Ins

Here is how I would do it.

Get an USB stick, create 2 folders, call 1: "Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings";
    call the other: "Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit) Plug-Ins".

That way it's almost the 'path' name so you won't get confused.

1: Saving Workspaces and your Settings: This includes your Workspaces any Actions/Tool Presets/Patterns/anything you saved in the Presets part of CS6.

Forgive me if I am preaching to the converted, but do you know what I mean regarding 'Workspaces' (not to be confused with ColorSpaces). Workspaces are how you had your Palettes on your screen, where you positioned them, which ones were accessible, etc., including any Plug-In Panels which previously would have opened on start-up [If you had any].
    Just so you know.

These live in your AppData/Roaming section, not in the Software folder so you need to find these:

Normal path is:

C:\Users\"your_user_name(David?)"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\

Copy everything in that folder - It should look like this:

2: Saving your Plug-Ins: Anything you may have installed, like Nik (now Google), Topaz, Imagenomic's Portraiture (skin smoothing), etc.

Copy everything in there.

Path is: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\ (this is path for 64-bit - if 32-bit it would be the 'Program Files (x86)'

As you can see I have some Plug-Ins installed.

This will save you a HUGE amount of time, not only having to re-install, but trying to remember/find licences, but also, if for some reason a Plug-In is licensed to 1 machine only, and it's already activated, you may find trouble trying to install on a new machine.

I have done this from CS3 to CS5 to CS6. However, a caveat, you must not try to drop the Plug-Ins into CC (I had to reinstall after getting versions to suit CC) but you most definitely can with Workspaces_Settings.

Actually if installing a new version of PS, upon install it generally asks if you want to Import the settings from the prior installed version just for anyone else reading this. If space permits, I keep all versions installed except CS3, which I uninstalled only after getting CC

Once you have copied these onto the USB stick and you are ready to put into new PC, I would make sure you test CS6 first on new system after install, as in open/close couple of times.

Make sure CS6 is closed of course.

Now, you simply copy the files you saved back precisely into the same locations, however, it's always wise to first back-up the originals in there maybe onto your desktop, so if something goes awry, you can move them back.

Once you backed up those files from the newly installed CS6, go to the folders on your PC where they lived previously, highlight all of them in the folder and delete them. Do not delete the actual folder they live in, *only* the contents of that folder. I had to state this because I had a friend, told him what to do but he deleted the actual folder they lived in instead of just the contents.

Now merely replace with the files on the USB stick.

Hint: I back up a hell of a lot of settings, using 'Karen's Replicator' each night to specified folders in My Documents, that way I have everything backed up in case of crash.

Also I back up all of my email [thunderbird], browser [firefox] Profiles so again, in case of crash, reinstall, drop back the back-ups and all emails/bookmarks/settings are precisely the same.

Karen's Replicator Set up:

• TrevTrev Moderator

If you need a hand regarding how to save a Workspace, let me know. It's saved my bacon more than once having a setup saved. Just click 'Reset xxxxxxxxxxxxx Workspace' and everything jumps back into the former saved space.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Just realised why it's really handy to have Settings backed up.

I was working on an image and needed to crop it, so I went to my Tool Presets fly-out menu and realised how many I have saved, if I had to re-do them all over again I would be pissed.

If something goes wrong, I have those PS Settings saved and can merely drop them back in.

• Holy Cow that is awesome advice. I've already done as you've suggested and copied the contents of both locations to my USB. I named the USB folders exactly as you said. The new computer should arrive late next week... Thursday/Friday timeframe. This is so kind of you to share this information. I can't tell you what a load off my mind this is. I couldn't sleep last night worrying about this install and how I would get everything back into place. In fact, I spent a lot of time this morning printing emails from all the plug-in's I've purchased, getting the weblinks and License Numbers ready to go.

What a blessing you are Trev. I can't say thank you enough.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    You are welcome.

Do you currently have the new monitor? Or will that be part of the deal, I seem to recall you are getting the NEC right.

Is so, here's some more advice.

Don't be stuck on having a 'pretty picture' as your desktop, 2 reasons.

1] Your brain is influenced by the colors and you will be surprised at when looking at it for a while then start working in PS you will think your 'Color' is off, it won't be, it's just your eyes/brain retains bright colors for a while. Look away from the monitor for a couple of minutes then look back you will see your image in an entirely new light.

2] If you make your desktop a 'neutral grey' you not only stop your brain taking in bright colors, but you will also see the awesome difference with a nice even spread across the screen, diagonal to diagonal, corner to corner.

That's one way to see how your calibration worked also, is you can see a nice neutral grey, no casts, you have a nice calibrated monitor, also you won't see any hotspots in center like any other monitors.

This is especially so if you are using 2 monitors like I am, a cheap 19inch Widescreen ViewSonic and my Eizo.
    Both have neutral grey desktop backgrounds, and they are chalk and cheese, the Eizo is a completely uniform density across the entire screen, plus the grey is perfectly neutral.

The ViewSonic looks crap in comparison. Bright hotspot in centre, dark corners and has a magenta cast across the top and pretty neutral along the botton, but who cares, I only have it to put my Actions, Plug-In Panels, and Tool Bar on it.

Desktop configuring to neutral grey.

Right click on blank area/Personalize/Choose 'Desktop Background Solid Color' at bottom left/choose More/in RGB values put 128/128/128
    Click OK/Save Changes, you could add it as a 'Theme'
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Here is part of my desktop, open in PS, perfect neutral grey 128/128/128

Another hint in Photoshop.

By default, Photoshop CS6 has really dark margins/borders/palettes, etc. I change mine so it's a lighter grey.

Edit/Preferences/Interface/click on a neutral button at top, see image.

Finally, your PS background, make it also a neutral grey.

How to: Open an image in Photoshop, make sure you can see part of the background.

In a blank area of the background right click and choose Custom for the color. Image, blue arrows show precisely where I clicked on the background.

Your Color Picker Palette will come up, in the RGB values, put 128/128/128, OK

That background will now, along with your borders, be a nice grey, no strong colors to influence you.

Next, hit 'F' on the keyboard, that takes you to the next 'full screen' mode.
    Repeat precisely as above to make that a neutral grey.

Hit 'F' again, by default the background should be Black, leave it, and you will notice all your Palettes/Menus have gone, I don't know if you knew this already, but it's a great way then to look at an image on a nice black background without any of the Palettes/Menus.

Hit 'F' again brings you back to the beginning, it just merely toggles thru 3 variations of viewing.

I also suppose you know you can temporarily hide the Palettes (it leaves the Menus) by just hitting the TAB key on keyboard, hit TAB again, brings them back.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    And finally, I just remembered, in CS6 and CC, Adobe have 'graciously hidden' some of your filter menus, how kind of them.

You may not even know they are missing unless you run an action that calls for a specific filter.

To get them all back:

Edit/Preferences/Plug-Ins. Image shows my CC, CS6 is similar you just need to look for 'Show all Filter Gallery Groups and names'; tick it off, close, restart CS6

• You should teach a class on PS & LR Trev... maybe you already do! :-) My monitor is coming from Adorama separate from the computer. The computer was purchased at a local computer store. Not a box store but a small business. I've used them in the past for computer repairs and upgrades so I thought I'd give them a try to custom build my system.

I opened my PS CS6 and the "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" was NOT checked. So, I checked it. I'm not sure exactly what this check box does for me? What did I gain... or what was I missing before not having it checked.
  • Ah... no need to answer what the "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" check box does. I just googled and figured it out.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    PDH7981 said: You should teach a class on PS & LR Trev... maybe you already do!
    Yep!

:)
  • I read through all the responses and I'm not sure they adequately answered your questions.

1. Regarding fonts, you cannot simply port installed fonts from one computer to another. As sasko1 explains, you copy the font files over to the new computer, select them all (CTRL +A), then right-click and select "Install" from the context menu that appears. Once installed, you can verify the fonts by opening the Control Panel and going to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts. When you install Photoshop CS6 it will automatically detect the compatible fonts installed on your computer.

2. For actions, it depends. If they are actions you created yourself you first need to save them to a file, then copy them across to the new computer. By default, self-created actions are stored in Photoshop's memory registers unless you actively decide to save them to an action (atn) file. To save any previously unsaved personal actions; Open the Actions Panel, click on the action or action set to select it, then open the fly-out menu (by clicking on the icon that looks like a downward pointing arrow and four horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the Action Panel), and selecting Save Action from the menu that appears. Choose a location to where you want your actions saved (Desktop is a good central place) and Photoshop will then write you action to an .atn file you can save and copy to the new computer.

For actions you obtained from other sources they should already be in the atn file format; usually in either the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Presets\Actions or C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Actions locations. Simply copy the atn files and paste them into the same location on the new computer.

I should also point out that you do not absolutely have to save any Photoshop tools or presets to the default locations. For example, I have my actions saved on a different hard drive (Photoshop installed on C:\ drive and actions stored on D:\ drive), then make them visible and active in Photoshop by clicking the Load Actions options from the Actions Panel fly-out menu, and pointing Photoshop to their location on the D:\ drive. This method makes managing actions and other presets much simpler in my opinion.

Alternatively you can create a shortcut to the location of your action files and save it to the C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Actions\ folder. This automatically makes the actions available in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop. This is the method I prefer and I also use it for other presets like Brushes and Color Swatches.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Hi Jan,

Thanks for the insights regarding the actions, saving/loading.

Honestly it does not matter if the actions were previously loaded or created by you, they then are embedded into your .psp (Photoshop Preferences) files which can be saved and retained or replaced as I suggested above.

As long as you copy those straight into the 'C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings" folder & replacing any other Workspaces / .psp files, all workspaces/actions are then visible in Photoshop's Action Palette, and your Palettes (Workspaces) are displayed as previously.

Saving the actual Action .atn files is obviously a good thing which I do, but once they have been embedded in the Actions .psp file, and as long as you have closed/re-opened PS at least once, if you have just created an action personally, they are then embedded in that .psp file in the Users/AppData/Local Roaming section whereas the Actions themselves, IF saved to your actual Adobe/Photoshop/Actions Folder live in the Programs/Adobe section itself.

Those .psp files then reflect the space they are using, which shows that they are indeed embedded as you can see by some of my Photoshop Preferences files.

If you do a 'Save Action' and you save it to anywhere, or even back in the Photoshop Actions folder itself, that lives in a separate part of the system, and just because it's living in there does not mean it's showing up in the Action Palette, as you know, but anything loaded or deleted inside of PS is then reflected in the embedded .psp files, if you look at the image also shows the Preferences of how you set up PS itself.

eg: When you save an action into the Actions Folder, but then delete that action via the Photoshop Actions Palette itself, close Photoshop and re-open, as you know that action will no longer be available in the Palette, regardless if it's still in the Actions Folder itself, that's because you have changed Photoshop's .psp file, so therefore the .psp file will hold all your previous settings/changes once you have closed Photoshop.

As long as you drop those Workspaces folders and the .psp files back into where they normally live on a new system, you will have anything set prior on old system back into Photoshop, as normal.

Test: I just right now copied my Adobe CC's 'Adobe Photoshop CC Settings' folder [but not the CC Prefs itself] onto a USB stick, put it into my wife's laptop where I have an old copy of CS3 on it which I had not even opened in over 4 years, and after backing up the contents in that version, I just dumped the lot in and overwrote them all.

Opened CS3 on laptop, and everything I had set to my own PS CC work machine, comes up [with exception of some of the plug-in palettes which are not on that system] and I tested several actions all worked fine.

I did not touch on saving to anywhere else as I did not want to confuse anyone not used to it.

Yes, you are absolutely right in saving Actions to other areas, I have a folder in My Documents, and I save any/all actions to it, mainly for easy access if I want to email someone one. But, since I also back-up those PS Settings in the folder nightly, I am backing up the .psp files themselves.

Fonts: Yep, you are right regarding 'installing' which I did not really touch on, just as I stated should be not needed unless special fonts installed, then if there are a lot of them, highlight right click and select install as you said.

But even if you do drop a font/s directly into the folder, you will get a pop-up window anyway asking to 'Install' but that would be a bit of time if you have a lot to do although they do 'install' almost instantly.

• Trev, you are amazing at explaining the filing system. I have crashed my NEW computer 3 times in less that a year and your tips have saved me from going off the deep end. Your system is tried and true on my end w/ much success. For sure it's over my head, but, you somehow make it understandable. Not to mention get me back up and editing w/in a blink of an eye. Big props to you and all the knowledge you share here on the forum. I am lucky to have found this site.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Thank you very much for those kind words Wink, much appreciated on my part.

Trev
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Actually, you have done the same thing I outlined above to you, saving your Workspaces/.psp files which included the actions, and dropped them straight into the directory of Photoshop from your laptop to your new desktop machine with no problems.
  • Yes, works as advertised, perfectly including the "plug-ins" Workspace, files, actions...all came back like before it crashed. Thanks, Trev, for your attentiveness.

• Let me echo Wink11 in thanking Trev for this "beyond" valuable information. My new computer should be here Thursday/Friday timeframe and I'm anxious to get things up and running.

Thanks again for everything Trev.
  • PDH7981, how did it go?

I now have a new computer as of Fri. I didn't muck around. I was up w/ all my Workspaces/Actions/ToolPresets PLUS my Plug-Ins following these steps "transferring" using Trev's method in this thread. This is now the 3rd time and hopefully the last time I have to set up shop. Each time though, I've followed the paths lined out above, and I was up.

Very smooth and hassle free. Good luck!!

• Thanks Wink11. I just got my computer this evening. Still waiting on the monitor from Adorama. I have to say, worst buying experience I've ever endured with Adorama on this monitor... but that's a subject for another day. As soon as my monitor arrives, I'll get everything set up and hopefully, I'll have a smooth experience as well.
  • @Trev...
    I want to give a great big shoutout to Trev. Allow me to start this post with a hardy... God Bless You Trev!! Just a quick recap.. I have upgraded my computer and monitor and had worried sick about transfering all my software from the old computer to the new. Well, thanks to Trev giving me a boat load of advice at the top of this post, it went so smooth getting the new computer up and running.

My computer and monitor finally came this week and I've gotten LR5 and PS CS6 up and running. Thanks to Trev, it looks and feels just like my old computer. As far as I can tell so far... everything is looking good!! One small glitch with Topaz Plug-in but hardly worth mentioning. I just downloaded it again, it asked for the License key and off we went.

I can't thank you enough for all your help and advice Trev. If you ever land on this side of the pond or I go your way, I owe you a beer!! Actually, dinner and a couple of beers :-)

Still working my way through some odds and ends but I'm feeling on top of the world right now. Also ran through my first monitor calibration. That seemed to go well too. I ended up getting the NEC PA272W with SpectraView software. The kit came with the X-rite calibrator as well.

Again, thanks so much Trev. I can't tell you how excited I am to get through this.

David
  • TrevTrev Moderator

David,

You are welcome. I drink 'Crown Lager' beer or Bundaberg Rum & Coke.

:)

Trev.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    PDH7981 said: Still waiting on the monitor from Adorama. I have to say, worst buying experience I've ever endured with Adorama on this monitor... but that's a subject for another day
    You're more than welcome to post about it in another thread.
  • Glad this is archived!  I came back for the reference on how to save and load actions/work-spaces! 
    Once again, these instructions are flawless!

Thanks!
  • I'm very glad this is archived as well... I just purchased a new back up drive and thanks to Trev, I've backed up my PS files again!!
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Hey Dave,

Long time, been hiding mate?  :)

Yep, even I am glad it's archived since I have an occasional friend ring me asking what to do, so instead of me spending 20 mins on phone explaining I just merely email them this thread's link.

• Hey Trev... yes I've been in and out.  Still out here enjoying my hobby!!  I've recently learned a valuable lesson on Photoshop Scratch Drive location.  :-)  As I slowly watched my Solid State C drive chip away.  I figured out you can ask PS to use the D drive as scratch.  

Anyway, as my drive space was slowly vanishing, I thought now was a good time to go back up the C drive and backup those all important folders in LR and PS.  

Much appreciated again Trev.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Totally agree Dave re Scratch Disc.

Also the C drive seems to start to fill up because each time you get a Microsoft Windows update, it creates a bigger file size.

Do you ever clean out the unwanted crap, like old windows temp files, etc. etc.

I *totally* recommend CCleaner as that will remove lots of crud, and help keep system running smoothly mate. I've used it for years. You can also run it on the Registry cleaning out all sorts of stuff left behind.

Here are a couple of pics of it.

First run was an 'Analyze' I then did a 'Run Cleaner' and it removed over 5G (I use it every night before bed, and the only reason I had such massive junk was my Recycle Bin where I had just removed a heap of unwanted PSD files).

Then it shows another 'Analyze' with zero stuff to remove.

There are many options, so be careful. You can also set which programs/behind the scenes things that start up with a reboot, and also Remove Programs, once again be careful.

Analyze:

After Run Cleaner and another Analyze: