Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon Lens Snob leaning to Sigma

Ok.. I admit it.  I'm a bit of a Nikon Lens Snob.  Every lens in my kit is Nikkor but today, I'm really giving strong consideration in purchasing a Sigma lens for my next purchase. It's Christmas time and I'm getting myself a 35mm prime. 

I've been looking at the 35mm primes and everything I can see from the reviews I've watched indicate the Sigma is better in performance to the Nikon.  Also, the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G comes in at around $1620 vs. the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens at $899.  Now, if the technical performance of the Sigma and Nikon were equal, as crazy as it sounds, the "old me" would still have paid the extra price to stay with the Nikon family.  I know... it's insane!!  What's wrong with me?  But, since I'm hearing such great things about the Sigma along with the price advantage, I have to say I can't see any reason to not go with Sigma.

I would love to hear from anyone that has this Sigma 35mm lens to get your impressions.  If anyone can make a case for the Nikon, I'm open to hear from you as well!  Based on everything I've seen and read so far, Sigma will likely get my business.  But it would be nice to hear other feedback.

Comments

• You have answered your own question. Go with the Nikon. You are a brand name snob and you will only be satisfied with the brand name. If any photo at any time for any reason taken with the Sigma is not award-winning perfect you will be kicking yourself for getting the Sigma instead of the Nikon. How do I know? I'm the same way. Crazy? Maybe, maybe not. But life is short and who has time to second guess. Just go with the best and be happy about it. The higher price is worth the peace of mind.
  • I don't own it, but the Sigma 35 ART is supposed to be excellent. If I were buying a 35 f/1.4 that's what I would get. I would suggest going to Flickr and checking out photos from it.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART was very impressive, and certainly a notch or two above the Nikon equivalents.

I also really liked the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART

I'm a lens / brand snob, so the Sigma 50mm is the first non-Nikon / non-Canon optic that I own. 
  • This is a general question related to using an off-brand lens. Aside from picture quality, do you sacrifice some some in-camera controls over the lens? I have a little experience with the similar situation of trying to use an off-brand flash unit - you lose some/all control from the camera. Is it the same with a lens?

Thanks.
  • Thanks everyone... I do appreciate the feedback.  I've made my decision based on reviews I've read on line and with a high degree of persuasion from the results of DxO Labs Lens review:  http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings ;

I'm going with the Sigma for my choice at 35mm.  The 35mm f/1.4 ART Lens.  It will be my first "non-Nikon" lens in my kit.  It's on order and I'll get to open it on Christmas.  Looking forward to trying this lens out. 

If this experience goes well, I've already started eying the Sigma 300mm f/2.8.  That's a sweet looking lens. 
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    It really is disconcerting in a way ... imho, Sigma lenses have always been kinda "meh". A friend had a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and it was mediocre. So I always dismissed Sigma lenses ... and then out of nowhere, they produce the ART lenses, which optically hold their own agains the very best. And they are well-crafted and feel solid. 

You just have to hold the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G and the Sigma 50mm ART lens, to already have an idea which offers superior quality.