Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Evaluating Preview screen on camera

Firstly - I shoot in RAW!

In order to accurately interpret what your preview screen is telling you, what picture controls do you set in the camera?

Do you set it to neutral or maybe standard or vivid?

I am assuming that setting these affects the image displayed on the screen even if you shoot RAW. Am I correct in this?

Any thoughts from you guys would be helpful. I use a D300 btw.

Cheers, Iain

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2015

Iain,

Yes, it only affects the embedded jpeg which is what you are seeing in the LCD preview.

It will initially give 2 things to go by, exposure and WB, but even then it won't be totally 100% since your jpeg preview is already compressed, shadows would be more blocked up and even highlights so when you open the RAW it will show more detail, be a lot 'flatter' (no compression) and you need to then edit to taste, and the 3rd thing is which Profile you then use in the RAW Converter.

However, the big thing is, what Camera Profile you use in the RAW Converter, all of them give varying results, so you need a starting point to begin with. This is important as a starting point since the wildly varying results determines how you then edit. I did a write up on Camera Profiles (for RAW converters, not the actual camera HERE)

As for the actual setting in the camera itself, I leave it at default, Standard I think, and I don't 'adjust' anything like Contrast, Sharpness, Colour, etc. since those are only going to affect the jpeg embedded.

Now of course if you are shooting jpeg, well, that's a different story, you would change those to suit your camera/style/personal taste.

Trev.

• Cheers Trev,

I have the camera set to neutral, might try standard and see how it looks, although the only difference in the 2 settings is the sharpening. Std is 0, neutral is -2.

In LR4, my default starting point is Camera Std.

Iain

• ViccoVicco Member
    Yes, you only see the preview jpeg, so-to-say already processed from the RAW...
    I'd set the cam to "Neutral" and I'd make sure, that there is no adaptive stuff going on, meaning: that the display always has the same brightness. A middle one.
  • When I viewed your post on my phone Neil, I thought you were being a smart arse. Then I realised it was a LINK :-D

It confirmed what I already thought, so I'm not doing anything wrong.

Cheers

Iain

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I don't do sarcasm. 
    (And now you don't know whether I'm serious or not.)
  • A South African that doesn't do sarcasm?

Now you are pulling my chain! :-)

Iain

• MatrixphotoMatrixphoto Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi Lain

See the included Pic, This is how I have my  preview screen set up.
    Tells me everything I need to know in 10 sec.
    I go with histogram rather then the image.

Matrixphoto