Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Avoiding hot spots shooting with speedlite in a softbox

These days I've been taking pictures at family parties, mainly outside environment, so I prefer to use a softbox with a Speedlite instead of an umbrella, but I can not avoid those intense hot spots appear on the forehead, nose and cheeks.
Could someone tell me a way to avoid these hot spots?.

A friend told me that the problem is solved by placing a sto-fen to speedlite before inserting it into the softbox, but I could not check it because I have not the sto-fen.

Comments

• Assuming you have enough power, the solution is to do these:

* Diffuse the light; as you mention a sto-fen or similar device.  Or, sometimes softboxes allow you to place an additional piece of diffusion.
    * Adjust the zoom to be the widest possible setting (e.g. on a 600EX-RT, set it to 20mm)

You'll ultimately end up with less output (at least a full stop in most cases), but the light should be more even.

In my case, I use a Westcott Apollo softbox.  That has a silver interior and you can point the flash head facing that interior.  Light will then bounce all around before it exits the front diffusion panel.

Westcott makes a similar setup for an umbrella (the Halo), though I prefer the Apollo's build more.

• Thank you rs_eos for your recommendation. The Westcott Apollo seems to be a solution.

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I don't think that adding the Stofen inside the softbox will make much of a difference to your light quality - all it will do for sure, is cut down on your light output. 

What I do though, is set the zoom on the flash-head to be wide. Usually 24mm or similar. 
  • Thanks Neil. After reading your comment I could see that with the zoom set to 20-24mm the hot spot is greatly reduced.