Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

New Nikon 70-200mm FL ED

sathlersathler Member
edited January 7 in news & discussions
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying the new Nikkor 70-200mm VR FL as I have sold recently my previous model with the VRll.

I've sold most of my Nikon lenses and some Nikon cameras as I've invested on the Fuji XT2 with 3 amazing Fuji lenses:
Fuji 16mm f1.4 AMAZING! Fuji 35mm f/2.0 and Fuji 50-140mm f2.8. The Jpegs are just awesome!

I've seen some negative comments regarding the changing of the focus ring with the zoom on the lens that  can apparently cause
the user to move the focus ring as the lens sits on the palm of his/her hands.

Just wondering If anyone has purchased this lens and share your thoughts?

Thank you so much,

Sathler 
Australia

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I have only played with a friend's lens: 

1. The VR is even more aggressive than the ver 2 of the lens. That's good!

2. I didn't have the ver 2 on hand to compare with, but from what I could see, the zoom creep is reduced (or gone?). With ver 2, when you are zoomed to 200mm and you focus very close, you end up with around 135mm focal length. I think they addressed it with this lens. 

3.  The zoom ring in the front will take some getting used to. 
    Advantage - it makes the balance of the lens easier since your  hand is supporting it closer to the front. 
    Disadvantage - you're going to nudge the focus ring with the heel of your hand. 

As impressed as I am with the lens, I don't feel enough impetus to replace my ver 2 of the lens. But it should be a considerable upgrade from the ver 1 (which has poor edge resolution since it was designed for use with the DX bodies of the time.)
  • Thank You Neil!

I think I'm going to play a bit more with the lens I have Fuji 50-140mm f/2.8 and see the results now that I've ordered the battery grip for the Fuji XT-2.

• Why not check out the Tamron equivalent?