Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Rogue Flashbender

Im working in the wedding field and somebody recommended one of these flash-benders , as anyone got any experience of them? What did you think?

thanks

neathnblue 

Comments

• I owned them before, but no longer use them.  The main problem is a personal one where I found that they were removing constructive criticism comments from at least a few people on their Facebook page.  When I simply asked in a neutral-worded post if comments were being suppressed, I was then banned from their page.  So I personally decided not to support their products anymore.

Having said that, here is what I found when using their gear:

* Inexpensive and a good place to start.
    * Very compact gear that can work well in tight spaces.
    * Gear is quite versatile; you can make a large bounce-card like surface. Or, roll up as a snoot  The pro XL model allows you to also create a mini-strip with grid.

But even if I were sticking with the company, there were cons for my needs:

* The strips were too tiny (I think 5 inches wide by around 13 inches tall).  I don't have tele-lenses (narrow field of view) so I cannot jam the modifiers inches away from subjects.  Because I had to move the units further away, their relative size made them all harder light sources.  The strips I settled on are Westcott Apollo 16 x 30 inch units with grids.

* While their circular grid product was a nice concept, it was too tight-fitting on my Canon 600EX RT units with gel holder installed.  I already cut dozens of gels for that holder and didn't want to re-purchase round gels specific to their product.  These days, I now just zoom my flash to 200mm and add both diffusion and colored gels to get a soft spot; albeit oval and not round.

Finally, while it didn't happen to me at all, many have stated that the XL units were too much for their flashes in terms of weight.  So depending upon the flashe's position, they said the product tended to droop.

• I have one and have used it on a few occasions. I bought it because it is easy to transport versus other modifiers. It does what it is supposed to do, but with that said the problem I found is that it wobbles and moves the flash from the position I had it on. If that makes sense? Basically its top heavy and falls over on occasion. 

-Jay 
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I'm not entirely convinced about the Flashbenders. 
    For indoor bounce-flash use, they don't do anything useful:

For outdoor work, you will probably be better off with a proper softbox. 

They do store away in a compact manner - they don't take up much space.