Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon removing authorized third-party repair program in 2020

As a non-professional, I have previously had problems using Nikon's official repair facility in Melville, NY.  In the last two times I used them, they failed to diagnose a camera problem, and they somehow messed up a lens focus ring.

I have used Authorized Photo Service three times, and they have been fantastic, but I think they would be affected by the announcement.  Maybe professionals using NPS have better luck.

What's your opinion?  Would you be affected by this policy change?

Tagged:

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Man, very crazy, wonder what their reasoning was for this move?

I also checked out the Nikon Repair Centre Taiwan links in that story, some amazing stuff and if true would be great.

Recently had a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 Silent Wave Motor and the Focus Motor pack it in, repair estimate here was around $1300, but I told them just to bin it, got another one.

Had Nikons now for over 11 years, first time I've had a problem, but you know that 70-200mm lens did do a lot of work, eg: in 1 week alone during a major sports carnival I shot over 18,000 frames with it, more than doubled my original price in profit for that lens in just that one event.

Not like before I had Canon for around 25 years+ (like Neil) and had repair bills coming out of my arse.

Canon 5D, mirror assembly simply fell off. Not under warranty back then, $400 to fix.
    Canon 1D III's (2 of) had to go back for some major mirror sub-assemble box refits (warranty, but still without them for over 2 weeks)
    Lenses, well, let's just say I had some issues with a couple, still in therapy over that lot I tell you, so yeah, once I went Nikon, just got real lucky.

I asked my repairer and he said it's not a problem here (Australia) for them. (So far I guess)

Thanks Stephen.
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited December 2019
    Hey Trev,
    Reading through the Nikon Rumors comments, one commenter said that Nikon may be wanting to capture the repair revenue exclusively, since their overall camera revenue has been shrinking (due to multiple forces external and internal to Nikon).

I heard Sony doesn't have good repair service on their cameras and Canon is "ok" with their repair service.  I do remember Neil's early blog articles about his troubles with Canon repairs, so I don't know if the repair service has improved or just stayed as-is.  For the amount of money these companies want us to spend on their equipment, I would think they can repair their products well.  For their high purchase costs, Apple seems to be good about repair/replacement of their products.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Agree Stephen, I think the camera market is widely diverging into a lot of 'consumer' product models and with the advent of mirrorless I think in a few years the 'old' style will go the way of the horse and buggy.