Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Bouncing flash

alberto1976alberto1976 Member
edited July 2011 in wedding photography
Hi
I'm going to take some photos in this church (see image), during my cousin's wedding; it isn't very dark but, following Neil's suggestions, I think adding some flash would be very interesting (there are windows very high, sun should come in from the right); my problem is I don't understand which is "my bouncing wall": the couple will be about 6-7 meters from that corner: can I bounce my flash there? I can't rely on umbrellas or reflectors...Lateral walls are far enough (not seen in this image, there are lateral altars with chapels); the ceiling is about 30 meters...
can You help me?

Comments

• alberto1976alberto1976 Member
    edited July 2011
    uhmm...
    I'm now looking at http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/06/07/what-if-there-is-nothing-to-bounce-flash-off/
    Last photo seems to be my situation...I suppose I would rely on my "abetterbouncecard" as my "best" (sigh) solution
  • Hi alberto1976

Im starting to add a battery powered flash on umbrella in the corners triggered by PWs. , to give me some extra light

Also I have used the Stofen diffuser with great success in situations like this or if there in the case of dark wood .

Lou
  • thank you Lou
    I'll take some photos following your suggestions
  • Regarding umbrellas, I've been wondering whether there might be an important difference between white and silver umbrellas (both in bounce mode -- neither and shoot-through mode), a difference beyond "color" and beyond light-loss due to some of the light passing through the fabric rather than bouncing. Namely this: it seems like a white umbrella would follow the principle of diffuse reflection (wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_reflection) and scatter, providing a fairly wide-beamed 45" (or so) diam. light source.
    But does a silver umbrella start to act like a glossy (mirrored) surface, producing specular rather than diffuse reflection? and to the extent that it's parabolic in shape, it has a focal point, and if you happen to place your speedlight at that focal point, the light rays will go out roughly in parallel (wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector) creating a 45" (say) beam of light -- functioning sort of like a snoot, and potentially even missing the intended subject.
    I haven't experimented with this yet. Have any of you?
    Does it happen to any noticeable (or annoying) extent in real life? (I'm definitely willing to hear that my theory has run on ahead of reality.)
    At any rate, an umbrella - though bigger than a flash head -- is smaller than a wall as a light source -- all the more important since you're at a distance from your primary subject. And that principle of diffuse reflection which I cited above could mean that -- counterintuitive as it is -- bouncing off that convex corner might help. (It also might be more annoying to the assemblage than some other options.)
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Bounce your flash towards that corner, if the wall isn't wood. Enough light should return to help lift the light levels and give you clean open light on their faces.

It's much like I describe here:
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/2009/07/12/photographing-the-wedding-processional/

... I'm not bouncing my flash off something specific. I'm bouncing my flash into the church towards the front wall and facade.