Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Finally starting to understand lighting!

julieojulieo Member
edited September 2015 in flash & lighting
Meet Chicka, since my two are off to college and my youngest is at rowing, she will have to do!  Love the vibrant colors using just a a little pop of flash. Sony A7ii, Zeiss 55 1.8, Nikon SB 800 bare on the ground and a Cactus V6 to fire flash on manual.

Hope to keep improving and purchased a Phottix Mitros today so I can use hhs.

Have to find some humans this week. This is probably boring to many.

160 shutter, 2.2 , 320 ISO , flash @ camera right, knee level.

160 shutter, 1.8, 250 ISO, flash on grass camera left .

Comments

• Hi, just like you I am trying hard to understand flash lighting. I think you nail it, especially on the first one. The flash looks very natural considering bare flash. Good job on that. Good backround but too bright for me. It competes with the subject. Try little pp on LR to dim the background a little. Very good job with the flash!
  • Good job. I would recommend trying flash coming in from a higher position to help reduce the shadows you can see on the first photo.

On the background, I would look at a different composition so it is less distracting from the bird. You can also try increasing the shutter speed to 1/200th or 1/250th (depends upon maximum syn speed of your camera model) which will reduce the ambient exposure and let the background go slightly darker.

Over the years I have discovered that the secret to flash is controlling the background exposure. Get the background to the look how you want, then add flash to correctly light your main subject.

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I would agree that the photos look remarkably good for bare flash. You nailed it. 

The way that your lens renders the background ... wow! 

And as Paul mentioned -- "Over the years I have discovered that the secret to flash is controlling the background exposure. Get the background to the look how you want, then add flash to correctly light your main subject." --- this is at the core of understanding how to balance flash with ambient. You start with the background.