Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Can Lightroom Help on This?

Hi - I'm really just looking for a "yes/no" on this, and if "yes", which Lightroom tool would I use? I figured I'd ask here before I went around in circles, only to find the answer is "no".

I took a hundred photos for this guy and his family (note - he chose the setting, a small living room), and I had everyone, and myself, positioned so there would be no reflections. Then his wife, who was reluctant to sit for a photo, sat down for only two, and a reflection from the drawn blinds ended up in her glasses. I would like to take that out. I don't have or use Photoshop. Can I do this in LR? I've tried the spot-removal tool, but it won't really work.

Thanks - Dave

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator

Dave,

No.

It would be very difficult even in Photoshop. Do you have a photo where at least one eye is fully clear even if reflection is still in glasses but eye clear?

In Photoshop: Eye could be duplicated, layered, reversed, resized and positioned over each eye and 'smoothed' back in to replace all affected eyes; then glasses fixed, but, it would take some time, as I have had to unfortunately do it on a couple of occasions. :(

• Thanks, Trev. I'm glad I asked so I'm not going round and round with it - Dave
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I agree with Trev on this. Lightroom won't help you. 

I have to add that these types of glasses - not sure what their optical configuration is - they drive me nuts with headshots. There's no realistic way to avoid reflections. They seem to pick up these weird tinted reflections from anywhere.
  • Thanks, Neil. Like I wrote, I had everything else covered pretty well. Too bad the wife was only in two shots. - Dave
  • Would a polarizer have helped, when you took the shot?
  • Interesting question. If the woman had the type of lenses Neil is referring to, it is one that I may never be able to answer, but just guess at. My first guess is "I don't know".......

Dave
  • Yes I agree with Neil, see this problem a lot. When I'm shooting a portrait with OCF, I normally feather the light and it stops the reflections.

Only suggestion here would be to take a reference shot without the glasses, but you would have to use Photoshop to copy the eyes across to the photo with the lady when she is wearing the glasses.

By the way I use Photoshop Elements, which for my work gives me what I want 99% of the time. You don't have to go to the full PS, personally I don't like the price and don't want to spend time learning a new system.

• Thanks, Paul. I just wished I had noticed it, so I could have re-positioned her. Two others had glasses - the guy in the photo, and his daughter-in-law, and none of the shots of them had the problem. As I wrote, the guy's wife was in only two shots, a reluctant subject, but she did tell everyone ahead of time.

Dave
  • HowieHowie Member
    edited October 2015
    It's not impossible in Photoshop, especially if the print size is reasonable. What I did here can easily be cleaned up/improved on.

EDIT: I went ahead and finished it up but I can't find a way to delete the old posted photo (delete function appears broken) so I'm posting a small version of the latest. I toned down the reflection by 70% or so but it can be removed more completely just by changing the opacity of the layer involved.
  • Howie - that's excellent! Hopefully this will give the PS users some tips/ideas. I don't have PS, and I have already delivered the photos to the customer and he said he was pleased.

But this really is good stuff! - Dave
  • HowieHowie Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks, Dave. Part of the trick (for me anyway) is just drawing in what can't be cloned. I used an old plugin in CS3 called Grain Surgery to reproduce the noise structure of the photo in the painted areas which would otherwise be too smooth in appearance.

Here's a quick example. I wasn't too careful with the sampling but you get the idea.