Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

LR4 question

JerryJerry Member
edited September 2013 in post-production
Just a quick question, I am rather certain that the answer is no.

If I when I convert a photo to black and white with the BNW option (automix) always add say +20 blue. Can I have this +20 blue always added to whatever blue value the automix gives me?

I think the answer us no, and I would have to do this as a batch conversion in CS6 instead?

Comments

• I do not completely understand your questions but try saving it as a preset and have LR add it to all photos when you import.

Rudy
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Jerry,

I take it you are referring to adding the +20 Blue only for the B&W shots.

The answer is unfortunately NO, you cannot do a B&W conversion and then have a precise +20 applied on top of whatever default values the conversion gave you anyway.

I just thought like Rudy upon reading your post quickly, you could preset it, and sure, whatever my first image was I just added +20 in the Blues, and the first image was +28 (default +8 plus the +20).

But when creating a preset obviously it remembers what you apply so all conversions from a preset then read +28, no matter the image, but not only that it remembers each value of the colors so it's not only affecting the Blues but all color ranges. Defeats the purpose if you have to then adjust each slider on each image. Fine if you have time, but not a good way to do a BW.

However, just to throw a spanner in the works and my 2 cents worth, LR's BW conversion is very poor, images are muddy, tonal values are all over the shop.

To get a "perfect" conversion, on a pixel level, I do this [in an action]

Duplicate the background layer [no real need but it keeps the base in color and if you wanted to be arty-farty, you would then adjust the new layer's opacity to retain a hint of color.

Apply an 'Adjustments' layer choose Solid Color

In the window, choose in RGB values; 0, 0, 0 [total black] hit OK which will make a solid black fill.

Then in the Blending Mode choose 'Color'

You now have a perfect BW **conversion only** method, you now flatten but need to apply lots of contrast to get a great BW.

Before you do that, zoom in a bit around 400+%, and turn Off/On several times the adjustment layer and you will see how each and every pixel retains the perfect luminosity from color to BW.

There are so many BW 'conversion methods' out there, an absolute plethora but this is an absolutely perfect conversion on a pixel per pixel basis without contaminating any of the tonal values.

Obviously that's only a conversion, you now need to work on contrast, etc. to get it that rich BW look/feel.

• Thanks for the answers both of you. You did get the question right Trev. And this was why I knew a preset wouldn't cut it, the constant +value ie +36 for all conversions.

Actions in PS it is!

Cheers
  • Nik silver effex does the job very nicely.
  • ZenonZenon Member
    edited September 2013
    NIK makes great stuff and SE is a great product. For the budget minded Topaz B&W effects has a lot to offer. If I was looking for B&W converter I'd check it out as well.