Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Wedding Newcomer - keeping gear safe

DariusDarius Member
edited October 2013 in wedding photography
Any tips for this newbie from everyone including Neil on how to keep your other gear 'safe' (as best as one can) during the reception? I will be shooting with an assistant.

Thanks,
Darius

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Well, sometimes the reception place will have an office, but if it's locked and you need some piece of gear in a hurry, you will waste valuable time in getting it.

Generally, I find a corner where the cake or gifts/wishing well table is located and put my bags there, as 99.9% of the time it's within view [but out of view when taking pics]. I don't leave any gear outside of a bag like just lying on top, the bag is zipped up, less temptation.

Or I find a corner out of the traffic area, not near any exits on the opposite side of the room where entry/exit are located, and if you have any luck, maybe a table with people are there also. I have been fortunate in over 30 years shooting, never had anything knocked off.

Dropped a lens into sand once [ouch, but covered by insurance] and if you have insurance also, but make sure you read the fine print, as some gear may only be covered if in a locked car or a locked room out of site.
  • edited October 2013
    Good advice Trev,

Also, NEVER, EVER leave a Gear bag where the possibility of someone tripping over it exists...with such a litigious society that we live in, you'll open yourself up to a huge lawsuit. As Trev pointed out...If you can't lock it in an office or spare room, a corner is your best bet...I've even asked the hall staff for an extra small table, that I then place in a corner, and put my gear underneath it, with a table cloth over it...out of sight. Works great!
  • Several of the roller bags these days (LowePro, ThinkTank) have built-in cable locks that loop through the zippers and allow you to secure your gear to an immovable (or highly-noticeable-if-moved) object.

However, this does you no good against the wedding guest who carries a pair of bolt cutters.
  • I put my stuff near the DJ booth/Table..

Lou Recine
    Owner Matrix Photography and Design
  • Thank you everyone for your comments.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Matrixphoto said: I put my stuff near the DJ booth/Table..
    Yep, if there is one there I do also, not always the case but certainly the best ideal option. Thanks Lou, forgot about that.

• I carry all my gear on me and have the rest locked in the boot of my car, 2 camera bodies with 2 different focal length lenses, 2 flashes and spare batteries, memory cards etc.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I have a bicycle lock on the roller case, and I lock this to something, such as a table leg.

It will deter the opportunistic thieves who quietly snatch something and walk off.