Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Acrylic Filters Which one is wich?

CarlZandCarlZand Member
edited December 2013 in home
Hello. I just bought a set of ten acrylic filters similar to thhe ones on this link: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Neutral-Density-Filter-Compatible/dp/B00A7U15V6/ref=pd_cp_p_1 The only "BIG"Damn question I have is How the hell do I tell wich filter is wich? I´m no expert when it come to filters and there were no guide whatsoever in the filter holders. The colored ones I can tel (because of the color). But the polarizer and ND grad filters, I can tell one from the other. Guess I´ll just have to try them all and trial and error. Any Suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I don't see a polarizer there, but the best way to tell a polarizer is to hold it up to the blue sky, and rotate it. If the sky goes darker / lighter as you rotate it, then it is a polarizer.

The graduated filters should be easy enough to distinguish from the full filters.
  • Neil,

I have a GND filter that goes from 4-400. It also Rotates and goes from almost clear to pitch black. Odd.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Then I'm stumped. What make?
  • No way! I did not stump Neil vN! Kidding Neil. Not sure right now, I am at work. I think it's a generic one, but it does indeed go from almost clear to pitch black. Not sure why you'd need to dial it to pitch black.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like a Marumi ND2-400 filter?

You can dial that way down, but still be able to focus quite easily. I had one a while back.

2-400 is 1 to 9 stops. Now that is almost pitch black you were talking about Penn.

Great for shooting movement in rapids/falls, etc.

It's a good mid-range to top line for around the $140US mark.

Just found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Neutral-Density-Filter-Digital/dp/B0065SPKEM

The top of the line Singh-Ray are over $400.
  • Trev,

I'm at work so I can't verity which one I have, but from the link you gave, it appears VERY similar. Def have to check which one I have. I curious now. One would think dialing in a GND filter to 400 would make an image unusable. Thanks Trev.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    penndragonn2001 said: One would think dialing in a GND filter to 400 would make an image unusable. Thanks Trev.
    Well, you obviously have to adjust exposure to suit.
    The idea of a ND filter is to stop light getting in of course, but it's so you may want a shallower depth of field or more depth of field, and then using the shutter to expose the image compensated to make correct exposure.

eg: Shooting a waterfall in bright sunlight, and you want that creamy look but a slow shutter speed [2-20 seconds] is impossible otherwise you would be in the f64 range. Bung on the filter, work out the exposure and shutter speed can now be slow to get that effect.

The graduated part also used for dropping sky down to a manageable level if the foreground is very dark, so the sky won't blow out if foreground exposed properly, or if the sky is perfect exposed and the foreground is a coal mine.

• edited December 2013
    Trev,

I'll have to experiment with this filter on a nice sunny day. Not sure where I even got this filter. It was in a hard case I had gotten in a package deal. I believe it's either a 72 or 77mm filter. I've gotten that creamy effect people talk about with water shots with no filters used and simply using a tripod and a few second shutter delay, so I never saw a need for such a filter. And thanks for the explanation. image This shot I even framed on canvas at 20" X 30". Looks amazing
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Yes, you certainly can but on a bright sunny day where you want a slow shutter speed, obviously you also need a closed aperture, and unless you can get down in the f64 range it won't happen, so that's where a ND filter comes in.

That shot [which looks really great btw] seems to have been shot in low light anyway judging by the surrounds.
  • edited December 2013
    Trev,

it was a very sunny day, but shot was taken from somewhat an elevated position, so the bright sky didn't effect the shot as much. Data shows F32 at 1 Sec shutter, at 100mm. Taken at beginning of July 2011, hot and sticky that day. I have the video to prove it I tell ya!!! LOL. In any case, I really need to experiment with this filter..That picture is at the Great Falls Of Patterson NJ. Neil is aware of them I'm sure. Supposedly 2nd largest waterfalls on the Eat Coast 2nd only to Niagara Falls NY. . Odd thing is, it's kinda tucked away just off a major highway in the middle of Patterson NJ. and if you weren't looking you'd drive right by it! Thanks again Trev.

This is the Bridge I was standing on when I took the pic Trev.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    wow, that looks like a fabulous spot, and you were lucky you had an f32 lens to give that setting @ 1 second, most these days are minimum of f22.