Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Is the Pink too Blue?

jcgoodsonjcgoodson Member
edited March 2014 in post-production
I recently did some dance portraits for a friend's dance studio. Some of the girls' costumes were intense pink (see photo below), and Lightroom appears to be struggling because of this. Although the pink skirts are in reality a uniform color, to my eye, the left half of the skirt in the photo looks more blue than the right half. Is this an issue that needs fixing? Maybe it looks just fine.

Assuming this is a legitimate concern, I'm not sure of the cause. Maybe it's because the right half of the skirt is more in the shadows relative to the left half? I can remedy the issue in Lightroom by desaturating the red and magenta channels, but this negatively effects the skin tones. Is there another batch edit option to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Justin

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Justin,

It's fine to my eye mate. Now, for anyone else having trouble with those sorts of hues in their image, a Digital Sensor has a lot of trouble displaying certain types of colours, being the 'fluro' range like this Pink is.

It's the same with those hi-brite orange safety vests, or the fluro type greens.

Another color that looks totally incorrect on the back of your LCD screen is 'Teal', that greeny-blue colour, and no matter what WB you set it to at the time, it will always look Blue on the back of the LCD screen, but, when you open it in a raw converter, it generally looks correct, unless you really screwed with WB trying to get it to look 'right' on LCD.

The Digital Sensor just cannot display any type of 'fluro/hi-brite' colours correctly, it is limited in that regard (along with of course the lousy dynamic range compared to the human eye).

If you look at any TV news footage sometimes and they are maybe talking to people wearing those safety vests, which are generally fluro, as in orange/red tones, you will see there is no definition/detail, it just 'fluroeses' (if that's a word) like 'strobing' and you immediately know a digital camera was used to record it.

I am afraid that you just have to grin and bear it until digital sensors get more accurate.

I did open it up in Photoshop, brought up Color Balance, gave it +20 in the Cyan to Red and -20 in the Yellow to Blue sliders which did warm up the skin tones nicely, but very very little difference in the dress.

Trev

• ZenonZenon Member
    I have a calibrated monitor and it looks pink to me as well.
  • I agree, the left half looks bluer. Not sure of cause other than that there's more light on it. Not sure of fix although you've gotten some good suggestions here. Not sure you need a fix. I don't think I'd have noticed had you not mentioned it.
  • ZenonZenon Member
    I keep going back to this. The left side of the dress is definitely different because the light source came from the left. I'm trying to look for blue every time I view. I think I see some once in a while but them I go nope, there is none. The thing is it pink overall. The important thing is the skin tones look acceptable both in the original and warmer.

Like Skip said. I'm a amateur carpenter by necessity. Can't afford to hire someone to go to my wilderness cottage. I put up all the tongue and groove pine myself. The only time visitors notice any flaws is when I point them out. There is nothing wrong at all with those colours. The editing Trev did was a nice touch.
  • Thanks all for the suggestions -- I really appreciate them! I decided to leave the fluorescent pink alone and warm the photo a tad with an adjustment to the white balance.

Justin
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Reds easily go out of gamut, and blow out. And that, to my eye, is what happened here.

What I often do, is get the RAW file right in terms of exposure and contrast, etc etc … and then use the Local Corrections brush and swipe over the red areas with a -0.3 or -0.5 exposure to bring the reds down so they don't blow out.

It's not elegant, but gets the job done on small sets of images.
  • from my point of view, the areas you are all saying is somewhat blue, area to the left, IS actually pink. It's the bulk of the dress that is slightly more red, thus the area that is pink, with the amount of light passing thru it, gives the appearance of a slight blue tint, but there really is no blue there. Perhaps it's my monitor... :-)