Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Some advice regarding gels for some birthday shots

technics100technics100 Member
edited April 2011 in flash & lighting
I have a couple of questions regarding shooting indoor shots. It's my wife's 30th Birthday party on Saturday and there is about 13 of us heading out for dinner. I want to take some shots and do something a bit better than the usual point & shot flash shots.

I will be using my Nikon D90, SB-800 and Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. I have ordered some black foam to make the BFT and will use TTL and bounce flash for speed and ease, but the questions I have are;

I have never been to the restaurant, so not sure about the lighting, it mentions on the website chandlers and candles, so I'm thinking quite a warm colour temp. I have the gels that came with the SB-800, so I have a orange & green gel. Do I fit the orange gel to match?

Then, do I set the bulb setting on my WB?

I will be shooting RAW so I know I can tweak the WB etc but I take it I need the light from the flash & internal lights to match. Also is there a base setting I should start? 1/60 with f4 and ISO 400? with TTL +1 etc????

Many thanks

Adam