Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

ND Filters & Color Casts

jcgoodsonjcgoodson Member
edited May 2014 in the gear
I'm looking to buy a neutral density filter (probably 10 stops) and have been reading a number of product reviews on Amazon/B&H. No matter the brand and price, there's always a comment about a color cast caused by the filter. Is this easy to fix in post, e.g., by using Lightroom's white balance tool? Cost is an important factor for me, so if a low-cost filter with a color cast can be easily remedied in post, I'd take it over a high-cost filter with a less pronounced color cast. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Justin

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I have some Hi-Tech ND filters and the first thing I noticed was the green color cast. Gets tough to correct.

So, no idea which would be neutral, but it would appear to be a common problem.
  • I've bought 4 ND filters over the years..all very inexpensive ones, I'm talking under 40 dollars here. Never had a problem with color casting. If it was there, it was so minute that it wasn't noticeable. My filters go from zero to 400. Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky...but they work flawlessly.
  • I can recommend the B+W 10 stop as well as the B+W 3 stop filter. I have done dozens of long exposures with these filters and have zero color cast. The WB gets thrown off by several thousand Kelvin but this is easily fixed post. For example, if you set DAYLIGHT as your WB, your photos will me more in line with SHADE or even warmer.
    Is color casting proportional to exposure length? I would say no because there is still zero green (or other) even when I exceed 200 seconds.

Hope that helps.

Rudy
  • Rudy -- I had thought a shift in color temperature was the same thing as a color cast, are they not? Regardless, sounds like it's not difficult to fix in post. Thanks all for your comments.

Justin
  • jc,

That may be right...I am not sure but for me it has always been a non-issue.

First shot was at f/22 and iso 50-not enough for smooth water,

second is with the B+W 10 stop Now we are at f/11 (no diffraction) and ISO 100. 10 seconds did the trick
    WB here is daylight-as you can tell it is rather warm for daylight

And the final version with WB corrected in LR-WB is now around 4000K

Hope this help some more....

Rudy