Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

A blessing in disguise?

jamiejamie Member
edited June 2014 in the gear
At the end of last year I had to sell my backup camera. It wasn't a big deal since it was old and needed to be replaced anyway. Then, a couple months later, I had my other camera, all of my lenses and most of my gear stolen. I was left with just an old Minolta 35mm SLR. At the time, I was in the process of building up a nice client base and was starting to gain momentum.

Needless to say, when my gear was stolen, I was stopped dead in my tracks. Devastated doesn't even begin to cover it. I think I've finally calmed down enough to consider buying all new gear though and work on getting that momentum back. I'm actually a little excited as it has given me both a reason to start fresh and the time spent using film has really helped with my discipline.

I'm still in the process of figuring out what all I'm going to be getting and am probably a couple months from being able to actually get everything, but would appreciate some fresh eyes on what I'm currently planning on to see what I'm missing, or am wasting money on. My main area of focus is portraits, but I love everything from macro shots to landscapes.

My current 'wish list':

Main Body:
Nikon d800 - Probably a bit overkill for portraits, but I love the detail I can get from my landscapes with it.

Lenses:
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 135mm f/2.0D AF DC-Nikkor Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S

I've heard a lot of good things about the 85mm 1.4 lens but I'm not sure if that would be a better option than the 135mm DC.

That's what I've got so far as far as base gear. I know I need to decide on flash, softboxes, etc. but wanted to get some opinions on the base gear first. Thoughts?

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Sorry to hear about the gear theft. That's always so disrupting and such a harsh intrusion on one's life.

Now, about the gear - I'd vote for the D800. The extra pixels are wonderful for portraits.

The 135mm f/2 DC is an older lens design, and shows softness wide open, and some chromatic aberration.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II is a much more versatile lens. So I would skip the 135mm entirely.

So I would say a definite yes on the two f/2.8 zooms. They are very sharp, and as a combo give you a huge range.

The 50mm f/1.4 is my least used lens, along with the fisheye. I just don't love it.

• jamiejamie Member
    Would you recommend getting the 85mm instead or keep it at those two for portraits?
  • JerryJerry Member
    I have almost exactly that setup.

D800
    70-200mm VRII 2.8g
    24-70mm 2.8

85mm 1.8G
    50mm 1.8G
    90mm 2.8 macro (tamron)

Lovely camera for portraits and landscapes/architecture. 70-200 is a brilliant lens, unfortunately I have no car at the moment so it gets a bit heavy to lumber around for a full day out on foot. 24-70mm is the one mainly kept on the body, versatile and sharp. 85mm is lovely for portraits, really sharp and shallow DOF on the D800 fully open even as the 1.8G version. 50mm...well I use it, but I think the 28mm would have been used more as a prime...

90mm macro, just a cheap macro whenever I feel like "shooting" insects and the like, good quality even if it's not the best quality.
  • jamiejamie Member
    Thanks for the input Jerry!