Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Choices! on a budget

carlos_r_gcarlos_r_g Member
edited April 2011 in wedding photography
Hi Neil, just a quick question for some advise. This is my situation, if you had a choice to shoot with either a 28-70 2.8 or a 70-200 2.8 which lens would you use? I am shooting a wedding next week with a d700 and sb900 for light. My back up camera is a d300 with a 50 1.4. ceremony is outside at 5pm and reception to follow indoors.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    What other lenses do you have?
    And are you the primary shooter or a 2nd shooter, or a guest?

As a 2nd shooter, the 70-200mm f2.8 is essential.

As a primary shooter though, you will have to shoot a lot of portraits and wider shots which describe the scene, and then if I only had to choose one of the two lenses, I'd have to settle on the 28-70
  • I am the primary shooter, my wife shoots the d300 and the 50mm 1.4. I also have a tamron 28-75 2.8 but find that sometimes is not really sharp. I am used to renting the 70-200 for the d300 but recently upgraded to the d700 and am curious to find out how much more i can get in the frame with the d700 and the 70-200 combo.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Yup .. the 70-200 is a range that only really makes sense on a full-frame camera (like the D700), if you shoot a lot of portraits.

While the 24-70 is my workhorse lens at a wedding, I can't imagine even coping without a 70-200mm f2.8
  • You know I read your blog alot, it takes so much time for work let alone all the time needed to keep up a blog and website, here is a toast to you sir. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.