Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Pls Suggest a fast Lens for candid photography

SharmaSharma Member
edited July 2014 in wedding photography
im a wedding photographer using canon 5d mark III and 6d..

lens i have canon
24-70 2.8 L
17-40 f 4
70-200 f 4 is
200 mm 2.8 L II
85 mm 1.8
50 mm 1.8
Sigma 35 mm 1.4
sigma 15 mm fisheye.

for candids using only sigma 35 and 15 mm.. and canon 85 1.8 and 200mm

pls suggest a lens in tele.. want 85 mm 1.2 but its a slow focus lens.. so other in my mind 135 f 2..

n later add more 85 sigma art when it released..

70-200 2.8 L II is good lens but vry heavy.. N i like Prime more as 2.8 in zoom lens low light restrict n prime gives more better in avaible light n results..

pls suggest .

Regards
Sharma

Comments

• Sharma,

What type of candids? Wedding, casual, event? Looking at your lenses, I would say you have everything you need. Unless you have a lot of room, the 135 would need to be stopped down for sufficient dof or only one person will be in focus but the lens is amazing and has the best contrast and nice lens flare... and the bokeh....it's bokehlicious!
    Out of everything you listed, the 70-200 2.8 would be your best choice. The 5D can handle the extra stop of ISO that you loose to the 135f2.0 and you gain so much. Having said that, I would marry the 135 if I was a lens looking to get married ;)

Rudy
  • SharmaSharma Member
    Thanks Rudy Sir.

i want too use in weddings...
    70-200 2.8 IS II is a good lens.. but its heavy.. i dont want heavy lens plus 2.8 is a limit..

sir i do take pic wide open. 1.4 on 35 .. on 200 2.8.. so focus is not a problem for me..

just need a fast lens for candid pics.. length btween 85 n 135 ..

my choise is 85 .. but in canon 85 1.2 n thats a slow lens..

thats the reason thinking for 135 L.

ney other best lens ?

Regards
    Sharma
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Since you own pretty much everything else, it looks like the 135mm f/2 is your only option. ;)
  • SharmaSharma Member
    Thanks Neil Sir.

Regards
    Sharma
  • Lot of good glass there Sharma....Very nice!!
  • I just bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and it is light, weighs about as much as the 24-70 2.8 so you may want to check it out (I shoot Canon also) . The Canon 70-200 2.8 is too heavy for me also but love the Tamron version - the glass is just as good in my view and it is less than $800.00 at Best Buy.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Charles,

He already has that range covered in the lenses he owns so probably a moot point, and he was concerned about the weight, but that aside, I would have to question anyway the quality regarding the Tamron 70-200 against the Canon 70-200 (or Nikon).
    crollinsphoto said: I just bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and it is light
    That implies a lot of plastic and less quality glass.

Having each of the Canon/Nikon 70-200mm lenses (both in the new MkII and ver II range) and knowing the superb quality/optics/focussing aspects of both I would find it very very difficult to see how the Tamron at "less than $800" being of the same quality.

Sure, the images may turn out good under normal conditions, but how does it perform in low light, etc.

I am now 99.9% a Nikon shooter for various reasons (very similar to Neil) after swapping from Canon with 30 years use and having used some Tamron's on that system, they are fine under normal use, just like Sigma, but fall down especially in low light focussing which is paramount for weddings.

Being lighter may be a good thing for many people, but I have always preferred a heaver kit, as that stabilises the camera/lens by just merely 'resting' on my left palm.

• SharmaSharma Member
    70-200 weight is a issue n other thing its 2.8 .. 2.8 restrict bound in low light.. otherside Prime like 85 .. 35 .. 1.4 allow more light ..

prime gives better sharpness .

Regards
    Sharma
  • edited July 2014
    Not Canon or Nikon, I'm a Sony A77 A99 Shooter. My 1986 Minolta 85mm F1.4 AF Superbly sharp, probabvly a tad too sharp...always easier in Post to soften.. My vote for fast Candid Shots in a Prime.
  • Which lens did you go with Sharma?
  • SharmaSharma Member
    not finalize yet .. heard sigma art 85 is cuming august end..

waiting for that .. if its not then will go for canon 135 .

Regards
    Sharma