Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

X-Rite Color Checker

edited April 2015 in post-processing
A friend of mine uses this X-rite Color checker Passport for his PP. He swears by it. His photos look great but I can achieve pretty much same results. Does anyone here use this Software?

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Ron,

I personally don't use it. Yep, I can achieve 'correct' WB also a lot quicker than some 3rd party app. However, having said that, maybe for Product Images where WB is critical and a totally neutral WB is needed it probably would be great.

Have a read of THIS

It's long so click on Item 18 at the top to jump to how to use Color checker Passport and ACR for totally neutral images.
    Amazing stuff, this dude knows his color for sure.

If reading from the top, grab a six-pack, rip the top off a tinnie and start reading.

Trev
  • Hey Trev, 

How are you? Great to hear from you sir. So, do you use it, or simply do the Color Balancing yourself? Thanks for the link too!

• TrevTrev Moderator

Hi Ron,

Nope, don't own one and probably never will. I am also good thanks Ron. Where have you been hiding?  :)
  • edited March 2015
    Been around, check the site from time to time. I haunt the site called Dyxum a lot, because it deals primarily with Sony/Minolta owners. I'm shooting with  the Sony A6000, which is APS-C Mirrorless, and the Sony A7, Mirrorless FF 24MP Camera. As much as I love this site and all it's information and very informed   users here, The Dyxum site suites my needs more. Sure, cameras are cameras, and techniques are common no matter what format you use,  Here it seems for the most part, is  geared more towards Canon/Nikon users. After all, they are the most prevalent. Quite understandable. Everything   here is fantastic and I'll continue to use the information I've read and learned here. The Dyxum site just directs it more closely to Sony/Minolta Cameras. No offense to anyone here, especially Neil.. Great guy and photographer that he is.
    We ARE both Jersey boys!   :-) I'll still be around, and posting on occasion.  In any case Trev, thanks for the info on the X-Rite...I  didn't think it was a necessary tool, as I've always corrected WB within Lightroom. Simple Gray or White Card does  just fine.
  • An X-Rite Color Checker Passport is both hardware and software; if you think its only software you're mistaken.    The Passport consists of three tabs; the least discussed of them is the White Balance tab.  If you shoot the WB tab in the same light as your subject you can easily use the shot to set a Custom White Balance in your camera and/or use it as a reference shot in post-processing.

I've used the Color Checker Passport since its testing before commercial introduction and I've continued to use it since.  Its far more accurate than the WhiBal card and the Exposdisc I also carry in my camera bags.  One invaluable feature is that you can use the X-Rite software, or the free Adobe DNG Profile Editor, to create dual-illuminant profiles.  These dual-illuminant profiles are created using reference images shot under shaded daylight and tungsten and basically work by calibrating the unique color response of your camera(s)' sensor to a known standard. Once you've profiled your camera's sensor you can import images into either Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw and they will be automatically adjusted.  There's really no need to run the profiling software every time you import images in Lightroom/ACR; in fact its rather inefficient.

Another point.  You can use a regular X-Rite ColorChecker chart and download either the X-Rite or Adobe DNG profiling software and use either to create dual-illuminant profiles.
  • Unfortunately that linked article does not accurately describe how the product is used.  The two color patches with the semi-circular cut-outs are both neutral (he says only one is). .The patches with the triangular cut-outs indicate how they vary from the neutral.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Thanks Jan, as I said I've never used it so cannot comment on its merit/ease of use.
  • ViccoVicco Member
    I have the x-rite color checker, and also the datacolor colorchecker24.
    In my eyes, the x-rite clearly wins:
    + the target is smaller and nicer
    + the processing is much easier

I use the color checker in situations, then the colors have to be dead-on, and also, if the light quality is tricky.
    By "tricky" I mean, with an unclear spectrum ... like the spectrum from neon bulbs.
    You cannot completely fix strange spectras and the corresponding color casts later-on, but the information from a colorchecker at least helps ...

In standard situations like daylight or under flashlight, I do not use stuff like that ... it is just not necessary. A grey- or whitecard is enough, if you need some additional reference at all. :-)

• I only have the x-rite color checker and agree with Vicco
    when to use it, and when a white card is enough.

Quin

• I don't bother with these passport things. If I really need to nail the WB, I use a Lastolite EzyBalance grey card in my first frame. I then shoot in RAW and correct the WB in Lightroom.
    Simples :-)

Iain
  • ViccoVicco Member
    @Braveheart: yes, that works most of the time, but as I said, there are light sources like LED or Fluoreszent, which cannot be equalized so easily .... anyway, to me it feels good, to have that little device in my bag, if needed.  -- Vicco
  • Vicco, yes there will always be occasions with mixed lighting when the grey card approach falls short also.
    What I do then, as advocated by our illustrious host NeilvN, is to under expose the ambient and let flash dominate.

Cheers
    Iain