Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

TRIPODS?? Who's bringing them and WHY?

Hey everyone,
So I've been shooting weddings for about a decade now and I've seen the camera technology change a lot and as a result I've seen my own technique change as well.
I used to bring my camera tripod with me to every event & never knew when I was going to use it (I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it)

With that being said I don't think I have taken my tripod out of the bag once in the past 2 seasons. I also can't really think of a situation when I would need it with the exception of a creative long exposure...for the most part it's easy enough just to push the ISO when neccisary since images are so clean these days.

Maybe you can convince me to keep it in the bag.....or save my assistant some weight :)

Thanks!!

Comments

• I never use mine for portraits.

• I always bring mine. Same thinking. Better to have it  and not need it, then need it and not have it. It can stay in my vehicle in the event I do need it.

• if it is in the car on a wedding day it may as well be at home. there is not time to run and get something from the car.
  • Thinking outside the box a little.

A good tripod is a big item and it can have a certain presence of it's own. You can use it as a placeholder for where you want to stand, as a barrier to protect the space around you, extra stand for an off camera flash or reflector, fend off angry dogs. Use it as a monopod or as an extended to get an unusual angle. Somewhere to temporarily set a camera down (quick release are great).
    Of course, longer shutter speeds in a poorly lit area (by definition, outside of your capabilities) as well as the creative shots already mentioned.
    I've got a nice big Manfrotto, happy to have it somewhere close to hand. Weight isn't my issue, bulky and reduction of freedom of movement are my problems.

That said, I've only 4 weddings done, solo shooter at each. I prefer to use a monopod attached most of the time, usually collapsed. The extra weight helps to stabilise, often somewhere to rest the collapsed length (on my belt if nothing else). Quick to extend and collapse, quick to remove if necessary.

Graham
  • Thanks for the comments....I was also thinking about keeping it with me but just leaving it in the car but your right groomsphoto might as well just leave it at home if I'm going to do that.
    Certainly some creative suggestions GrahamH just what I was looking for, haha.....but I think given all the other tripods that I'm already carrying (several light-stands) maybe my days of the big camera tripod are "mostly" behind me.
  • I think keeping it in the car is a good idea. Not every shoot is a wedding. There have been a couple of times when I did not have it with me and wished I had, slow shutter speed shots or low light......
  • TrevTrev Moderator

The only time I have used a tripod was for my Mamiya RB 6x7 Medium Format 120 Film Camera waaay back.

Never shot a digital wedding since with a tripod, too bulky and slow to set up with fast moving wedding flow.

I do use tripods for my off camera flashes of course.

This is not to say not to have one handy, just me personally don't even have it in car. If I really needed one, I could quickly take a flash head off via quick release of an off cam flash, and have someone handhold it, but this has not been necessary to date.

• I only use a tripod for landscapes and when I have the luxury of time. Most other times I use a monopod. The best thing is the bubble levels and you know the shot is level. During a fast moving event, unless you are fixed in one place, its not possible to break out any of those for camera work.

I think if you are given the luxury of time and access you could get some real neat long exposure shots of the various rooms and spots, etc. However, I am never ever given those luxuries.
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited April 2015
    The other good thing about the tripod or monopod is that it takes the weight off you. I was standing there the other day and my back was killing me. So you could probably put a spare body on the tripod or the body you are using. Use a quick release. In practice, I use a monopod on occasion...when I can...with a quick release. It does not provide great stability but it does relieve the strain of weight.