Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Lightroom 6 is NOW...JUST RELEASED

MichaelVMichaelV Member
edited April 2015 in post-production
Very soon.  Lightroom 6 does compete with DXO.  Lightroom 6 is more than just a raw processor, however, but a file organizer and expediter.  You will know why you might need that tool of organization when you start to have thousands of photos...  The noise reduction abilities I expect to be much better than Lightroom 5. I expect it to be an all around spiffier program than 5.  Will it be as good or better than DXO?  We shall see...drumroll please...

Comments

• Still on 2. Def need to upgrade if only for noise reduction.
    For those using not yet using lightroom (not sure as to what competing software is out there anymore), a good organiser is invaluable as is a raw processor.
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited April 2015

Buying a better RAW processor is cheaper and easier than buying a better camera/lens combination.  The better RAW processor will take the photos up a step or two.  The better RAW processor wont be as good as the upgrade i.e. from APS-C to Full Frame, but it will take things up a bit.  So if you want to improve your photos, but don't want to spend thousands to upgrade to better bodies/lenses you can spend less than 200 to get the software which will improve the photos by processing the RAW image more aggressively than the camera body or lesser software.

• Lightroom 6 just released.  Biggest update to it, IMHO, is speed because it can now use the CPU and GPU.  Even your old 5 year old notebook will see speed improvement.

Now that Im bringing back more and more, larger and larger RAW photos.  Speed is really what I need the most...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1132136-REG/adobe_65237578_photoshop_lightroom_6_download.html

• I’m not sure I understand how all of this works. Currently, I have PS CS6 and LR 5.7 as stand alone programs. If I purchase the “Creative Cloud Photography” package for $9.99/mo, will that simply replace what I currently have on my system with new/different icons for CC? Will all my Presets go away? I just can’t bear to think those would go away.

Very scared to do this. I just don’t understand what the steps are to keep everything the same, yet upgrade to CC.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I had replied to David in an email he sent to me about this so thought I would once again point out to newcomers the way to do a full transfer from one Photoshop version to another with all your workspaces/PSP files which includes Actions/Brushes, everything including Plug-Ins.

http://neilvn.com/forum/discussion/1258/moving-fonts-and-photoshop-actions#latest

Note: Some Plug-Ins you may have installed in any version below CC/CC 2014 may not work. I know Google's Nik Software *does* work along with Imagenomics Portraiture Plug-In also will work when copied. The OnOne Software Plug-In will not work in any of the CC versions, unless you get a version for CC, just a heads up on that.

• JerryJerry Member
    Regarding the CC versions and their monthly plans etc, I assume you wouldn't have to have constant internet access while using these versions?
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Depends, I think it may require a log-in every few months for a check up, but no, you don't need to have a constant internet connection.

I do have Creative Cloud running all the time though and never had to log-in at all, it's constant with my internet running 24/7 even my computer stays running 24/7 (only turn off the monitors) as it does clean ups, back-ups, etc. during the night.

edited April 2015
    The one big difference between CC and CS is that CS you buy and CC you rent...

Lightroom 6, however, can be bought outright standalone.  

A lot of people will find that Lightroom 6 fills most if not all of their needs.  However, there are others who may do more advanced operations with their photos and so will require the monthly plan CC.  

The one key difference between the 5 and 6 is speed.  6 is built to speed things up.  This is not a small difference however.  Speed is a great thing especially if you work with a large batch of photos.  For example, I came away this weekend with 100 gb of photos.  There were several speakers in different rooms over a 2 day period.  I went around the room trying to get ever pose and angle I could.  Might as well since I had to sit and stand through the entire speech.  Moving and processing 100 gb of photos is no easy task.  So a speedier lightroom is oh so welcome.
  • I just took the plunge and got the downloadable version off of the B&H Photo website.  Now one might ask why not get the CC version for $10 per month.  The stand-alone version will keep working no matter what happens and I expect the Light Room 6 version to be the current version for 2-3 years. 

Yes, Photoshop is the better editing tool, but Lightroom is the faster tool and organizes quite well.  I need fast and organized right now.

• I haven't downloaded it yet (I will also be going for the standalone). I'm still pretty happy with LR 5.7, and from what I read there are not very significant changes to the develop processor between the two versions. I'll be interested to see your take on speed improvement.
    edited April 2015
    This article explains everything. Basically, if you work with a large amount of files it will matter. It will turn 50 minutes of work into 20 minutes depending upon how your computer is equipped.

When i bought my computer I also got a premium honkin video card thinking it will help processing time. I was wrong, it didnt. Lightroom will now work with the video card and bring processing times down. So your desktop or laptop with a video card or chip will be more like a dual processing computer.

I saw some photojournalists at the convention where they took just a few photos and sent them to wherever. For them it wont make a difference. For the guy who brings back hundreds or thousands of files this will be a tremendous improvement.

The other question to ponder is what if you have a computer with a dual video card setup like the select Alienware laptops or select gaming desktops. How will Lightroom work on those? How will it work on computers like the 4770k where a gpu is built into the cpu. In any event, the Lightroom program takes greater advantage of the system resources resulting in more sleep and time for the kids. People who do events know exactly what I mean when I say that.

Also if you have an older desktop and you dont want to buy a new computer you can simply go on ebay and buy a decent video card to speed the new Lightroom. Many nicely used decent video cards cheap on Ebay. Both my desktop and older laptop now get new life as the video cards/chips are utilized. Although they are both a few years old they now have new life with a software change. Its actually not so easy to get a new video card as it also requires the right power supply. Do your homework first before upgrading your desktop.

https://fstoppers.com/apps/hands-lightroom-6-new-features-mobile-apps-and-performance-bumps-bring-joy-back-68462
  • If you subscribe to any Creative Cloud based software, the software will prompt you to connect to the internet to validate licenses about every 30 days.  If you are offline for whatever reason, you can use the software for about 99 days.

Installing Creative Cloud software does not generally overwrite existing software, but you'll have to transfer your settings/presets manually.  Adobe doesn't provide any tool to do this.
  • Ok I just intalled Lightroom 6.  Under "Edit" in the "Preferences" section there is a tab titled "Performance".  Right there is where you enable GPU acceleration.

In my case, I have this 3-4 year old HP laptop where the processor has Intel 4400 graphics and there is a GEFORCE GT650M gpu.  I have to fool with the software settings on my Nvidia console otherwise the program doesnt recognize the GT650M and reverts to the Intel 4400 graphics on-board.  You would want the program to use the more powerful external graphics card/chip rather then the graphics onboard the cpu.  
    edited April 2015
    I just looked in the user manual.  The software only supports one GPU at a time meaning dual video card setups will not work.  

For laptop computers, you cant update the video card or at least on most laptops which I know of.

For desktop computers you can upgrade the computer with some caveats.  In my desktop computer I wanted to upgrade the video card but hit a snag in that I was limited by the power supply.  So upgrading the video card may need other internals and wiring.  I also found that opening up the computer and getting things to fit right was harder than it looked.  So upgrading an older desktop can be done but with some caveats.  My opinion is if you are messing with things like the power supply its best to get an entirely new desktop.  The other option is to find the most powerful video card for the machine without upgrading any other internals.  

The higher model video cards like the GEForce GTX980/Titan only appear in purpose built gaming machines like the Alienware computers.  The highest video card you might find in a standard desktop will be the GEForce 770 / AMD R270x.  

Im of the opinion in when buying a computer you focus on CPU first then memory and then video card, however, it might be an inexpensive solution to upgrade a desktop with a cheap used video card off of Ebay which would speed things up.  Although I would personally opt for an entire new rig seeing how desktops are not that expensive nowadays.  Bought my Acer 4770 with 32gb and GTX660 card for $600 refurbished during Christmas 2013.  Amazing deal.

Another note.  If you plan on getting the 50 megapixel Canon 5DSR than probably you will need to upgrade something.  If you work with a lot of very large RAW files like the Canon will produce.  No doubt, this lightroom program will be a site for sore eyes.
  • I did the $79 upgrade stand alone version.  As long as Adobe continues to release an upgrade price to a perpetual license, that's what I'll continue to purchase.  I'm still using Photoshop CS6... which is their last perpetual license version.  Everything works just fine that I can tell so far.  I'm at the latest version of ACR as well.  

I think Adobe will eventually get rid of all their perpetual licenses.  That may happen in a couple of years when they release LR7.  I will likely make the jump to CC at that point.  For me, it was only a $79 one time fee to move up to LR6.  As far as Photoshop CS6 is concerned, it does everything I need it to do for now.  If that changes, then that might be another reason to make the jump.  
  • I just installed the program on my desktop and I needed to upgrade the AMD video card drivers which was easily done.  So in both cases, laptop and desktop some minor software tweaks so the video card could work with the program.  Make sure to check that tab and be certain that it recognizes the card.  I bet most people will have to do driver upgrades or change the settings on the computer.  In the Lightroom manual, it suggests in extreme cases disabling the onboard graphics so the program will take the video card.  
  • i have read that LR6 is the last upgrade to perpetual so this is the last upgrade.