Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Creating wedding albums, software and workflow.

MajdMajd Member
edited May 2015 in wedding photography
I have just started doing wedding photography very recently so I still don't have the amount of customers that warrants outsourcing the album creation. My thought process says that I should do the albums on my own for a start not only for the aforementioned reason, but also because it would be better to find my own rhythm in regards to creating wedding albums and to know the ins and outs of it before asking someone else to do it for me. That way I will be able to know how to communicate my style properly when I opt for outsourcing eventually. In addition to that, after doing it on my own for a while, I will know how to judge the quality of the work and won't get scammed easily. Even more important than that, maybe I will like it and find a very practical way to do it on my own for the rest of my career. Am I right in thinking like that or did I miss something?

Now to the main part of my inquiry. What software should I use? I need a quality software and the price doesn't matter. It has to be responsive and comprehensive tho.

Additionally, I would like to know if there is a recommended workflow for doing this. I feel this would be a great writeup on the tangents if Neil thinks it is worth it as I don't think it has been covered there before.

I did some research on the subject for the past few days but almost everything I found was written as an promotion to the said software rather than a review. Even the comments on these articles were from people advertising their services rather than having a real discussion. That's why I thought it would be great to have a good post on the topic here.

Cheers,
Majd

Comments

• bobh665bobh665 Member
    I have been using Lumapix Fotofusion for the last 8 years. Theres a learning curve to get the most out of it but I find it fast and efficient for designing albums. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to design a 40 page album with a 100-110 images. The only other one I have tried was Fundy Album Builder. At the time when I was looking for design software I found Fotofusion to have more features than Fundy. I would suggest you download trails of anything your considering and see what works for you. Heres the links to Fotofusion and Fundy:

As for the workflow my clients choose 90-100 images. I drop them into Fotofusion and design from there, send them a preview for any changes they may want. 

As for using a service to design my albums its not something I would ever do. 

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I use Lumapix FotoFusion as well ... it is a very fast workflow for me with designing albums, and I am familiar enough with it by now that I have no incentive to check out any other album design software. 

Here is a hidden page on my website that I send to clients when we start - it explains my entire album design sequence and what they need to do and can expect, including deadlines. 

• MajdMajd Member
    Thank you bobh665. I will check these two out. I've seen people talk about Fundy on other websites but I wanted to get someone else's take on this before I try it on my own because I have to deliver soon and I don't wanna be held back by the limitation of the software I am going to use. I will start with Lumapix for now and check Fundy and some other programs I heard about on other websites when I have the time to do so.

Neil, Thanks. It is more assuring now that I know you are satisfied with Lumapix as well. I will give it a try and see how things go from there. The page was really helpful too as it illustrates the general workflow and procedure with the customers. Thanks again.

• Alec78Alec78 Member
    It’s really good that you have started your own photography work. I am also going to learn photography from a domestic Port Macquarie Photographer. After getting proper training I would love to start my photography work.