Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Getting consistency on sunny/cloudy/sunny/cloudy days

BrianSBrianS Member
edited May 2011 in wedding photography
Neil,

I would like to know how you go about getting consistent exposures when shooting formals on a day when the weather is constantly changing.
I recently shot some formals as the sun kept peeking out. It was one of those days where the cloud cover was changing quickly.......sun/clouds/hazy sun etc....

I typically shoot in manual but due to the weather my meter kept jumping all over the place. I ended up switching over to shutter priority so that I would hopefully get some consistency and I am relatively happy with the results.

On the drive home I thought maybe I should have set my off camera flash so that I would get a constant reading on the group and then leave my aperture alone.

Just wondering how you handle this type of situation.

Thanks,

Brian

Tagged:

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Brian .. tough one to be dogmatic about.
    I really really prefer shooting in manual mode on my camera.

But when I was in Ireland for the workshops, the attendees there mentioned how much the light changed with clouds constantly coming in front of the sun. I had to agree with them - you'd drive yourself nuts having to shoot fast, and constantly adjust your settings.

So in a situation like you describe, I'd resort to aperture priority.
    Depth-of-field is usually the first concern, and therefore the variable we tend to control first.