Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Tungsten or Flourescent Lighting + Non-White Walls + On-Camera Flash + (?)

I've read a few of Neil's great articles which delve into this stuff but I still have the questions -

- do you gel or not gel when the walls are non-white? And I mean goofy (for photography) colors like dusty rose, aqua, light maroon ....

Comments

• gel to match the light source.
  • I do that. When shooting in a room with Tungsten, I set the camera WB to Tungsten, and use 1/2 CTS as a gel. I find CTO is too orange. But, it always seems I have to do a bit more work in LR to get the skin tones correct. I was just curious to hear other opinions.

Last night, I had a fundraiser at a mansion. Light yellow walls, Tungsten. I did some test shots with and without gel with WB set to Tungsten in both instances. The shots without gel looked a little too much towards bluish tint, but this was on the LCD. If I had had more time, I would have played with the WB setting.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Dave - I gel for these reasons: 
    If the light on my subject is predominantly tungsten, then it makes sense to have the flash also be a warmer tone. 

I also gel for tungsten if the the background is lit by tungsten, (even if my subject is lit predominantly by flash.)

I don't gel when the reception venue has uplighting of various colors - then Cloudy WB makes more sense to keep the colors of the up-lighting. 

Now, to your specific question - that's a complex scenario.  The best (and most complicated) solution would be to have a Color Meter and then gel accordingly to neutralize the color cast. However, I don't know of anyone who does that!  

I would take a test shot, and see if some Kelvin WB setting doesn't get me close enough. 
  • Thanks, Neil. The tip on the "various colors" scenario I will keep in my head and try it out.

Dave