Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Portable strobes

tdoutytdouty Member
edited January 2016 in flash & lighting
This may have been asked before, but technology changes so fast, I'll ask anyway ....

I'm considering getting a battery powered strobe. I use Pocket Wizards for Nikon with a Mini TT1 transmitter and FlexTT5 transceivers. I want something powerful enough to be able to overpower the sun because we do wedding photography and we are many times shooting in afternoon sun.

I want to to be able to use HSS with it so I can shoot wide open in bright sun. It should also have TTL functionality as well as manual. A built in battery might be nice too so there isn't a battery to carry around. Is there such a thing as one that can be triggered WITH TTL and use my current Pocket Wizards?

From what I have been seeing, I might have to go with a proprietary transmitter?? I'm thinking I would like to be able to use this strobe along with my SB800 and SB900 flashes so would like to be able to fire it with the Pocket Wizards like any of my other flashes. I also have the AC3 zone controller if that matters. Many times I use my SB900 on top of my Mini TT1 on my D750 as my zone controller instead of the AC3 simply because it's there and then I don't have to take the SB900 off to put the AC3 on.

I was looking at the Phottix Indra360 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/…/phottix_indra360_ttl_studio_l…) but see that it can't be used in TTL mode with the Pocket Wizards. In fact, I'm not sure what they mean when they say "This light is able to remain sync cord-free, and therefore hassle-free, thanks to the Odin receivers for Nikon and Canon cameras built-into every unit.".

Could someone clear this up a little for me and maybe point me to a unit that would be a good fit?

Comments