Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Need help regarding my external flash....PLEASE!

hdmullinhdmullin Member
edited June 2011 in flash & lighting
I am supposed to shoot a pageant next week. Originally, I was only supposed to shoot outdoor photos until yesterday when I got called and I need to do both. I am freaked out because I have never used my external flash. It is a Canon 430 EX and I am shooting with a Canon 50D camera. I put the settings on ETTL for the flash because I don't have time to learn it like I should. Is there anything else that I need to know. I am going to practice bouncing. I am just tired of freaking out over this and need to be at peace. Does anyone have any advice? After this, I WILL learn how to use the flash. Please go easy on me, I have never done anything like this before!

Comments

• HowieHowie Member
    edited June 2011
    Can you visit the venue, preferably with a friend or two, and practice some shots in the environment where you'll actually be working? Depending on how things are laid out -- proximity to walls, ceilings, your proximity to the subjects, etc. -- bouncing may or may not be your best option.
  • Yes, I think I will be able to do that before the whole thing starts. It is out of town but I am going a day early and I could practice up there. If bouncing is not my best option, would a diffuser work?
  • Or what is cheap and easy to use that I would feel comfortable with or do I need anything at all to soften up photos because I don't know how well I will be able to bounce.
  • HowieHowie Member
    edited June 2011
    What about working with whatever light is present and maybe using your flash only for fill? Are you sure you even need flash? If this pageant is of the beauty variety or a fashion show, I would assume there will be some pretty bright lights present to light the contestants / models.

I've read that the 50D is usable up to 1600 ISO so you may be able to work with the light as you find it.