Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Processing Photos in LR

Hi - I'm trying to head something off: last week, I had an event. Pretty crowded, the request was for almost all candid photos. I did my usual, walking around and scanning the crowd, looking for interesting situations and conversations. Shooting slightly wide. As I processed the photos, I would crop out distracting stuff from the person/people that was/were the focal point of the shot. Sent the photos through Dropbox to the person, and this was the response:

Thank for the photos! Is it possible to receive the non-cropped versions
for us to use on the website later?

So, what I did was send her one of the cropped (delivered) photos, and the un-cropped version. She hasn't responded yet, and probably won't until later on. But I figured I would post this to the forum, because her statement was pretty confusing to me. Why wouldn't she be able to use what I sent on the company's website? Why does she need the un-cropped version to do this? (When I get home tonight, I will post the two photos in case anyone wants to see them).

I'm also wondering if it's the way I have my output set up: in LR, I have been using for web use, 150 ppi, "long edge" checked, and set at 1500. The file sizes come out to around 1 Mb, which even from my POS computer, fly into Dropbox on the upload.

Could she mean that she wants every photo exactly the same size and shape? If this is the case, how could that even be possible?

As I wrote, I won't hear back from her until the end of the day, but I'm throwing it out there because how she responded is confusing.

Thanks - Dave

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Dave,

I don't know her reasoning for wanting the un-cropped image but one thing you don't need I see on your settings is 150 dpi, that's just too much for plain web viewing and a 1Mb 'viewing image' is still large, drop the dpi to 72 and you get a smaller file but still absolutely perfect for viewing.

• Thanks, Trev. I've heard that before about the dpi setting. Can you tell me if it makes a difference about checking the box for "long edge"? My unscientific thinking is just to put a number in there that's 10x the dpi setting. But should I even bother? However, I have noticed/remembered that by leaving it unchecked, the file size grows bigly.

I'll post her response when I get it. The only things I can think of are (a) "un-cropped' isn't what she means but doesn't know how to describe what she wants; (b) she has a marketing person or department that wants to decide what is or what isn't in the photos.

Dave
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Dave,

It's important that you check the boxes/choices carefully, I've known people who picked 'pixels per cm' or chose 1500 but at inches and that will cause the file to be huge.

just follow the green highlights, but make sure you choose that I've put in blue arrows.

Trev
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Actually Dave, do you have Photoshop or just LR?
  • Thanks, Trev. With the exception of 72 versus 150 ppi, what you have shown is exactly what I do.

I have LR, and really don't want to get into Photoshop. Partly because there is so much in LR I don't know yet. The other reason - and you can take this as me being stuffy or downright silly - is that I really want to become a better and better photographer, not a digital processing genius. I have only been taking non-family photos since Nov 2014, and my first paying job was May 2015. I'm at the point where I'm getting hired 2-3 times a month, but I feel I have A LOT to learn about photography. My goal is to get it as right as possible in the camera to where it doesn't need very much touch up. Maybe that's PollyAnna, but that's what I'm striving for. Sorry for the long answer to a short question .....
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    No worries, see what happens when that lady replies to you.
  • Hey Trev -

Just heard back:

Thanks for clarifying the different shots! After looking at the two photos, we do not need the uncropped versions.

Two pictures are worth a thousand+ words.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Good news then, saves a lot of hassels
  • Hi, Trev - just to finalize the post, here are the two photos I sent along - Dave
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Yes, that crop works much better than the full image for sure.
  • If the guy on the left had his eyes open, I probably would have left it alone (but that's me). With the crop, I now have what someone has told me is "visual tension".